Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do we need to do anything more to not be turned away from travelling to Canada?

Options
  • 28-03-2019 7:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Me and my girlfriend are going to Canada in just over two weeks. The eTA I paid for her originally was rejected, so I made another one, which has been approved and we got the following message:

"When you travel to Canada, you will need to bring the passport you used to apply for your eTA to the airline check-in staff. They will use your passport details to verify your eTA status in the Canadian Border Services Agency (CSBA) database. An eTA is linked to your passport. It is not a physical document.

An eTA is valid for up to five years or until your passport expires, whichever comes first.

Visitors to Canada are responsible for the cost of any healthcare services you require. Before you come to Canada, you should get health insurance."

Are we good to go for flying to Canada? Could any other issues potentially arrive while at immigration services? We have both paid for health insurance.

Regards,
    M

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭circular flexing

Why was the original eTA rejected? Did you/your GF change any answers between the 2 applications?

You should be fine though, once you have a return ticket, health insurance for the duration of your stay and enough funds to cover your trip. You are unlikely to be asked for any of these but have proof just in case they do ask.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

karaokeman wrote: »
    We have both paid for health insurance.

Regards,
    M
    Do you have proof that you have paid for the two years of health insurance up front?

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭IJS84

You'll need evidence of having health insurance valid for your length stay in Canada, either from a Canadian health insurance provider or an International policy from an Irish provider (currently VHI, Allianz provide this and maybe Aviva)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,558 ✭✭✭Bogwoppit

I travel to Canada regularly with work and have never once been asked about insurance.
    Once you have the eta you should be fine.

Why was it rejected the first time?

Bogwoppit wrote: »
    I travel to Canada regularly with work and have never once been asked about insurance.
    It can depend on your visa. If you're working there, you already have a visa.

In the OP's case, their visa (that they have yet to get) can be limited to the length of their health insurance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭circular flexing

the_syco wrote: »

In the OP's case, their visa (that they have yet to get) can be limited to the length of their health insurance.

Judging by past posts, it looks like the OP is only going for a holiday and not on IEC.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭karaokeman

I got premium holiday insurance from VHI for the duration of our stay, which is only for a holiday, and I'm bringing the documentation to prove it. I just checked and it turns out that the eTA I originally applied for was with www.eta-canadianvisa.com, which I found out was a private company, the second one I applied for that was approved was from www.canada.ca, the official site for the Canadian government, so I know its legit. The message in my first post is from the eTA I paid for from that site and got an email to say it was approved and also stated "You are now authorized to travel to Canada by air", so I'm assuming we should be good to go.

Judging by past posts, it looks like the OP is only going for a holiday and not on IEC.
    Gotcha. The following line had thrown me off;
    karaokeman wrote: »
    Visitors to Canada are responsible for the cost of any healthcare services you require. Before you come to Canada, you should get health insurance.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,558 ✭✭✭Bogwoppit

I travel on a regular visa not a working visa as I’m only visiting for business for a few days at a time.

So nothing should go wrong provided we have confirmation of our health insurance and confirmation page from email and ETA Status Check tool to confirm our applications were approved?

• Advertisement

Basically I want to know even if our eTA is approved and we have proof of accommodation and health insurance is there anything else that could get us rejected from entry to Canada for holiday purposes?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 494 ✭✭creditcarder

Hello,

I am going to bump this up. I could be going to canada for three weeks before taking a job abroad. I do not have health insurance, I will have a return flight, a contract for my new job as an English teacher in a foreign country, and accomadation booked for three weeks. Also, I will have a flight ticket leaving the country. I am going to see my non canadian girlfriend before teaching in south asia.

I wonder what the chances of getting turned away from? The city is in the french zone and I am wondering if I will be turned away? I'll probably have more than 1000 dollars

Edit: I can also have proof of housing waiting for me.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭Scarinae

If you're only going to Canada for three weeks and have a valid eTA and a return flight I don't see why you would be refused entry to the country. In many of the airports you put your details into a touch screen so the language barrier shouldn't be an issue, you can just select English. I've never had trouble being understood in English at the airport in Montreal as the staff all seem to be bilingual, I'm not sure about Quebec City though.

You can get pretty cheap health insurance though, try a comparison website. It is definitely cheaper than needing to go to a Canadian hospital during your stay.

Advertisement