Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Maternity Leave Decision

Options
  • 27-03-2019 10:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Having a bit of an ethical debate about this one.

Went on maternity leave last year and due back next month. However my OH and I are in the process of buying a house in another county and will be moving there in about July.

I was considering going back to work for a couple of months before handing in my notice, but it struck me the other day that the job would have to let my replacement go so I could come back, and then find someone to replace me after I leave, which seems a bit sh!tty of me.

OH reckons I should go back and get a couple of months' paychecks before we leave, and that the replacement is expecting to leave anyway.

Can I get your opinions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭Katgurl

I agree with your husband completely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

You don’t owe that other person anything, do what’s right for you.

They took the job knowing it was a contract, for you know they might be happy to leave.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭jon1981

Look after number 1 ( including family )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,172 ✭✭✭cannotlogin

The fact that you are considering the person covering your leave is admirable.

However,

They are no way disadvantaged by your return to work.

They accepted the position on the basis they knew you would return.

They may even have something else lined up or even have no interest in staying on even if you weren't.

Buying a house is often delayed and nothing is
    guaranteed until you actually get the keys.

If something were to be delayed or change, you may need the job for longer than you think.

Your loyalty and obligations are to your child & husband rather than your employer or the person they hired.

You should not feel guilty for doing the right thing for your family.

Best of luck with your return & the house purchase & more importantly, congratulations on your new baby.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭Glenn Coco

Bear in mind that leaving employment after maternity leave may mean that you have to pay back maternity pay in some instances.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,022 Mod ✭✭✭✭wiggle16

It's decent of you to be thinking of the person who took over from you, but they would have taken that job knowing it would more than likely be temporary. It's up to them to get their ducks in a row for when you come back and they have to leave and you can assume they probably have.

On the bright side, if your employer has any sense that person will get a phonecall from them looking for them to come back when you hand in your notice - they already know what the work involves.

No harm in putting in a good word for them when you leave - "I have to say whoever ran the show while I was gone did a great job, it was as if I hadn't left, I was dreading coming back but they made it a lot easier, perfect handover...." etc.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,894 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

House buying can drag out a lot so honestly, you are better to go back and keep your job.

The person in your role knows it's a contract.You never know, they may already have a position elsewhere, they may have their eye on another position in your company...I mean, you are also assuming that they would actually want to stay in your role too, and they might not!!

You look after you.I do understand your dilemma, I have been in and out of mat leaves in a couple of companies, but the company will keep going regardless, so you just get your paychecks, and keep yourselves sorted.

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

You sound really kind and thoughtful. But I agree with your husband.

If on the off-chance you do leave within your timeframe the replacement may only be on probation in a new role so is free to leave immediately should your employer offer your old job to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭LolaJJ

Just as a from the other side....

My workplace pays full maternity leave, i'm here a while and have seen many women take sometimes multiple maternity leaves and then returning to work for a few months until they find something else. We have rehired some of the maternity cover people and also just found new people. It's not a biggie, and we're not a huge company.

The women have never been badly thought of or judged for this. At the end of the day, we all go to work for one thing. A paycheck. That's to support ourselves, our lives and our families.

Ultimately, that's your priority and I wouldn't feel like you were doing anything wrong here.

It is lovely that you are feeling this way, but a job, is really...just a job

• Registered Users Posts: 4,055 ✭✭✭Emme

OP the person who is covering for you could be a temp. There is nothing wrong with going back to work for a few months before you move if childcare and commuting costs don't eat all the money you earn.

If you think your replacement did a good job while you were out be sure to say so. If they're good they'll have no problem getting work but it might give them a foot in the door again when you leave which will be no harm.

• Advertisement
Advertisement