Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cat bad behavior

Options
  • 27-03-2019 6:36pm

Hi All

So 5 years back I found a small black female kitten. Spent a few weeks looking for its owner before eventually giving up and taking her in.

Her behavior was never great. She is very skittish and had a tendency to bite or swipe at times. I assumed she might improve with age and after getting neutered.

Once neutered, I tried letting her go outside but she generally just hid and hissed until I brought her back in.

Eventually we got to a point were she became a sweetheart to me and my wife.
    But she still hates other people. I have to put her away if anyone visits. She will hiss and swipe at new people.

The issue now is that a family member has come to live with us and the cat is tormenting her. I don’t know what to do to stop the cat.

Any ideas? She was about 5 months when I found her so I don’t know her background before that. She did seem like a pet though as she had a collar on.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,269 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Poor socialization sounds as the core of the issue and her reaction is one of fear; the best way to improve the behavior with the new family member is to make them being the only one who feeds her and no free feeding. Basically get her to associate the new member with positive things, i.e. being fed and play time (use something like a "da bird"). The positive activities needs to be associated with the new member basically and you should see the attitude change over time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

cats are such funny creatures
    Ive got two ex-ferals
    When my daughter returned to Ireland after being abroad studying for years, both cats were really put out - did NOT like this stranger... it took several weeks, but now the most recent and totally feral (ex-feral) loves my daughter more than me :o and the other very aloof cat, who really wants nothing to do with any human other than my husband and me, has added my daughter to her very short list of acceptable humans.
    So, just some patience with your new family member, and the cat will slowly come to realize its a good human too. Good suggestion from Nody to have your new family member feed the cat etc

Feliway might help. Had a similar situation with one of ours when one of our parents was staying for a couple of weeks. Won't turn them into an angel (least not with our one) but helped calm him down and stop any real issues.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,269 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Happen to get this in my random selection by Youtube today and it will hopefully give some additional insight for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Nody wrote: »
    Happen to get this in my random selection by Youtube today and it will hopefully give some additional insight for you.

i watched that yesterday too.. amazing work . I was comparing with the three new ones, street strays, I gathered in late last year and realise that someone along the way did wonders with them. Still work to be done but ...never any ears back even with the shyest one, the one who is terrified of doors .

• Advertisement
Advertisement