Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

best plant for a rough shaddy patch

Options
  • 26-03-2019 9:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭

Hi,
    Any recommendations of what to grow in a rough shaddy patch along our lane - get morning sun only. At the moment we have alot of ivy and are trying to remove this.

Something colourful and wild?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,198 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Shady and colourful do not usually go together. However you should think in terms of what grows in woodland or on the edges of woodland - for flowers look at foxgloves, primroses, violets. Honeysuckle will do well there. Without seeing the space available and the kind of area its a bit difficult, something like pheasant berry - Leycestaria might be good, or it might make too much of a thicket (it is very vigorous but has nice flowers). The ivy will come back no matter what you do unless you totally nuke the ground and all surrounding area (not recommending this) and even then it could reappear. A photo would help.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,396 ✭✭✭macraignil

eeinke wrote: »
    Hi,
    Any recommendations of what to grow in a rough shaddy patch along our lane - get morning sun only. At the moment we have alot of ivy and are trying to remove this.

Thanks

Ivy is supposed to be great for wildlife with fruit in winter and flowers good for pollinators so I would not really be encouraging you to remove all of it but another possibility for something colourful and wild might be euonymus fortunei emerald 'n' gold. I like the options Looksee has mentioned as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭J Cheevor Loophole

eeinke wrote: »
    Hi,

Thanks
    Any chance of a pic ?

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭roper1664

Aucuba japonica is an evergreen variegated.

Heuchera are evergreen/semi-evergreen and come in variety of colours

• Registered Users Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭GrumpyMe

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,601 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

I wonder would wild cyclamen do well in there....

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭eeinke

fabulous, thank you for all your advice ...
    now anyone know the best place to purchase wild woody flowers?

Ballpark where are you?

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭eeinke

wicklow

Wouldn't be familiar with any but have a google, maybe phone before travelling, to ask if you are looking for specifics.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,635 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

Vinca for ground cover: cyclamen for leaf shape and flowers: bluebells and Bugle for Spring colour: Japanese anemones for height and for autumn flowers in deep shade.

Day Lewin wrote: »
    Vinca for ground cover: cyclamen for leaf shape and flowers: bluebells and Bugle for Spring colour: Japanese anemones for height and for autumn flowers in deep shade.
    Agree with most of above, but be careful what you wish for with Japanese anemones. I'm in a ten year old battle to remove mine and their thuggish habit of growth. The root system is invasive. Lovely flowers... but not for me anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,635 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

Agree with most of above, but be careful what you wish for with Japanese anemones. I'm in a ten year old battle to remove mine and their thuggish habit of growth. The root system is invasive. Lovely flowers... but not for me anymore.

So I've heard...I've never managed to grow them. I imagine that deep shade must tend to restrict their spread?
    Also, is it true that the white ones are less invasive than the pink? That pinkish colour is dull and muddy anyway: I think the white ones brighten up a dark spot really well.

The white one is slightly less promiscuous than the pink one, I have both. Deep shade only barely restricts them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭jaffa20

Ferns are another option.

Advertisement