Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best place for veggie seeds

Options
  • 26-03-2019 9:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭

I'm developing a half acre veggie garden/orchard.

Where's the most reliable place to get good quality seeds and seed potatoes? I'm happy to buy online.
    I've not had a veggie garden in nearly 40 years:)

Getting a load of fertiliser spread tomorrow and slurry in a couple of weeks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Irish Seed Savers I'd say

• Registered Users Posts: 3,396 ✭✭✭macraignil

Got good value seeds from this company before.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭rolion

Got all my seeds from TheOrganicCentre . Link H E R E
    Not a problem so far...but i, guess any garden centre will have it.

Only advise is to get organic seeds sourced locally in Ireland and avoid hybrids !??

Good luck and enjoy it.

Do you need any help !??
    You around Dublin ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

rolion wrote: »
    Got all my seeds from TheOrganicCentre . Link H E R E
    Not a problem so far...but i, guess any garden centre will have it.

Only advise is to get organic seeds sourced locally in Ireland and avoid hybrids !??

Good luck and enjoy it.

Do you need any help !??
    You around Dublin ?
    I'm in the southwest.

Thanks for the advice guys:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭MacDanger

Is there an advantage in getting organic seeds if you're not planning on growing organically?

• Advertisement

MacDanger wrote: »
    Is there an advantage in getting organic seeds if you're not planning on growing organically?

Dunno to be honest..i leave that at your lattitude,without me being labelled smart arse.

I tend to follow advise from older groweres...they said and they know something:

put seeds out when first weeds comes out in the soil
    plant hibrids to make sale in volume to people
    #buy local grown organic seeds for my family

Go to a grocery and try a normal tomato then an organic tomato ;)

I'm in the southwest.

Thanks for the advice guys:)

I would have loved to help you ...
    What plans you have for orchards ?

Enjoy it.
    God Bless you...

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Most of mine from ebay for price and quality.. LIDL etc do well and dealz and mr price have done well for me

I would have loved to help you ...
    What plans you have for orchards ?

Enjoy it.
    God Bless you...

I've 4.5 acres so the world is my Oyster within reason.

I've 8 apple trees and 3 cherry so far.

I'm planning on aronia, plums and some nuts.

I've another 1/2acre to make a veggie garden with to include a greenhouse and chicken run.
    The rest I'm hoping to get silage from

Had a load of fertiliser spread today. Getting slurry on it in a few weeks and the garden ploughed and harrowed.

I need to spread lime in autumn but got granular lime out with the fertiliser.

The ground is very deficient so will need a bit of work.

Just ordered a load of organic seeds from premier seeds. Irish or price and price won!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭Flipperdipper

Irish Seed Savers in Scariff Co Clare all natural seeds, they/ll also advise you on the best type of apple trees depending on your location and growing conditions.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,510 ✭✭✭Wheety

Is it too late to plant vegetable seeds?

Wheety wrote: »
    Is it too late to plant vegetable seeds?

no. far from it.

Just ordered a load of organic seeds from premier seeds. Irish or price and price won!

min e just arrived from premier seeds. Love the minimal packaging. Now all we need is some decent gardening weather

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭gnf_ireland

I find MoreVeg in the UK great for small seed quantities. Allows me so multiple varieties of plants without excessive waste
    https://moreveg.co.uk/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,510 ✭✭✭Wheety

Graces7 wrote: »
    no. far from it.

Thanks.

Have a raised bed sitting in the shed the last couple of years. Want to put it together and try square foot gardening.

I find MoreVeg in the UK great for small seed quantities. Allows me so multiple varieties of plants without excessive waste
    https://moreveg.co.uk/

They're expensive!!

They're expensive!!

Expensive in what way? I normally pay 50p-75p for around a third the seeds as you would get in a packet of T&M or Unwins costing £2-£3. It allows me sow three varieties of the same vegetable for the same price.

If there is someone else offering similar cheaper, with decent germination results, please let me know as I am all ears !

It is definitely more suitable for a small plot such as mine, and probably does not scale for those growing large quantities !

Expensive in what way? I normally pay 50p-75p for around a third the seeds as you would get in a packet of T&M or Unwins costing £2-£3. It allows me sow three varieties of the same vegetable for the same price.

If there is someone else offering similar cheaper, with decent germination results, please let me know as I am all ears !

It is definitely more suitable for a small plot such as mine, and probably does not scale for those growing large quantities !

99p from premier seeds for a full packet.

and 25 % off if you order 6. and many more seeds per packet .

• Advertisement

and 25 % off if you order 6. and many more seeds per packet .

And I would still throw out the extras as I have no use for them and don't tend to keep them year on year.
    That said, I will give them a go next year and see how I get on and let you know..

The only comment I will make on MoreVeg is I have been relatively successful with germination - which is probably the most important thing for me ! I assume Premier Seeds are equally as good in that regard !

And I would still throw out the extras as I have no use for them and don't tend to keep them year on year.
    That said, I will give them a go next year and see how I get on and let you know..

The only comment I will make on MoreVeg is I have been relatively successful with germination - which is probably the most important thing for me ! I assume Premier Seeds are equally as good in that regard !

I'll let you know. I got organic seeds which arrived today

I'll let you know. I got organic seeds which arrived today

Yes please - as long as you dont sow them this week you should be fine. Its baltic out there !!

I am getting about an 80-90% germination rate in the ones I have sown on window propagators this year so far - so am pretty happy with that.

The only bad experience I had was carrots/parsnips last year that failed to germinate, but think this may have been more the conditions and weather than the seeds themselves ! Grew carrots & parsnips the year before without issue from them.

Yes please - as long as you dont sow them this week you should be fine. Its baltic out there !!

I am getting about an 80-90% germination rate in the ones I have sown on window propagators this year so far - so am pretty happy with that.

The only bad experience I had was carrots/parsnips last year that failed to germinate, but think this may have been more the conditions and weather than the seeds themselves ! Grew carrots & parsnips the year before without issue from them.
    Still waiting on a plough to arrive and slurry to be spread. After that I'm good to think about planting.

I am in a gardening forum who run a very active seed/plant exchange to pass on spare seeds and it has saved me a huge amount and given me access to varieties that are rare. So please pass on what you have spare? last year I scattered a few oddments and have a glorious patch of forgetmenot and calendula in flower

I am in a gardening forum who run a very active seed/plant exchange to pass on spare seeds and it has saved me a huge amount and given me access to varieties that are rare. So please pass on what you have spare? last year I scattered a few oddments and have a glorious patch of forgetmenot and calendula in flower

@Graces7 I have not tended to have any spares over the last few years as I have bought lower numbers of them and tended to use what I had. If I end up with spares though, I will let you know. Where abouts are you based? I am in South Dublin

@Graces7 I have not tended to have any spares over the last few years as I have bought lower numbers of them and tended to use what I had. If I end up with spares though, I will let you know. Where abouts are you based? I am in South Dublin

Shes In the middle of the Atlantic Ocean :)

@Grace's can you PM me the forum name please?

There's a sticky here as well for swaps.

Ah Maderia - a lovely place for a garden !

@Grace's can you PM me the forum name please?

There's a sticky here as well for swaps.

https://forum.gardenersworld.com

Had some mint plants from someone there in the post today

• Advertisement

Thanks.. will need to pm and at the moment cannot do that...

Advertisement