Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

nice routes (Cork & Kerry)

Options
  • 26-03-2019 3:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭

Now that the year is brightening up a bit, I'm looking for some good recommendations of routes where I can take a spin.

Journey times: between 1-2hrs and 6hrs.

Restriction: sports tourer bike so nothing requiring an Africa Twin/MotoX bike to drive on.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,261 ✭✭✭emo72

Did a bit down there last year. Stunning part of the planet. I went up over Molls Gap on the beara peninsula. Isolated and remote but that's an attraction. Also the gap of dungloe? I think it's called. Great stop for an ice cream in the avoca shop, and you can watch all the tourists marvel at the wonder of it all. I wasn't bothered by the time of the trips, when your there you don't want to be watching the clock, just take it in leisurely.

• Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭LLewellen Farquarson

From Cork follow the coast road through Clon. etc. Go out the Beara peninsula at Glengarrif. (Stop at Jack's on the left on the way into Glengarrif for coffee).
    Go over the Healy pass and back towards Kenmare. Either go into Kenmare and Killarney and back the main road, or go into Kenmare and back the Kilgarvin road, or turn right after the Beara peninsula and go over the Caha pass and back the way you came, or back via Kealkil and Cappeen, and onto the Macroom road (possibly via Kilmichael and Toonsbridge for woodfired pizza)

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭IJS84

''From Cork follow the coast road through Clon. etc. Go out the Beara peninsula at Glengarrif. (Stop at Jack's on the left on the way into Glengarrif for coffee).
    Go over the Healy pass and back towards Kenmare. Either go into Kenmare and Killarney and back the main road, or go into Kenmare and back the Kilgarvin road, or turn right after the Beara peninsula and go over the Caha pass and back the way you came, or back via Kealkil and Cappeen, and onto the Macroom road (possibly via Kilmichael and Toonsbridge for woodfired pizza)'''

Take the coast road from Kinsale to Clon through Garretstown and Timoleague is a decent route, and some fine bends but nothing too challenging and usually less traffic than the main west cork road from Dunnes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭monty_python

I Second the beara peninsula. I cycle there and it's an amazing place. Head to castletownbere and keep going through allihies and eyeries to kenmare

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭BrianHal

I took a spin on Sunday "down west". Cork -> Macroom -> Gougane Barra -> Bantry -> Dunmanway -> Bandon -> Cork. Not quite as far down as Glengarrif and Allihies but some beautiful scenery none the less. I must say, Macroom -> Gougane Barra isn't a good ride when on a sports tourer... my wrists and ar$e were killing me after that leg.

But I will be going that direction again... thanks for the suggestions people, please keep them coming.

• Advertisement
Advertisement