Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ben Hogan Golf Results

Options
  • 25-03-2019 11:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭

I have been a bit curious about Ben Hogan Golf for a while and after I tried a few clubs through their demo program I thought I would give my impressions.

For anyone not familiar with Ben Hogan Golf, they are a club company that decided to go all online for sales, no middle man golf shops. Some will see this as a positive from the price perspective, or a negative in terms of not supporting golf shops or pro-shops. I think there is room for both models in the market.

I have tried two sets of 9 and 6 irons in their demo program. The Ft. Worth and the Edge irons. The Ft. Worth are a forged blade, and the Edge are a forged face perimeter weighted iron with a hollow cavity back that is filled with polycarbonate foam. Also interesting is their consistent 4-degree loft gaps between each iron, something that many leading club manufacturers have changed in recent years.

First I triend the Ft. Worth, maybe an ambitious play on my part. My golf is mid to high handicap. Mostly high. So I found the Ft. Worth just a bit too challenging to hit with. They were great with a perfect strike, but anything but was very penalizing. I absolutely loved the look of the irons but would have to become a much better ball striker to think playing with them would improve my game.

Next up were the the Edge irons. A tremendous set of irons for me! I hit them every inch as well as the Taylormade Speedblades I have in my bag, and they cost a fraction of the price. Great feel, forgiving on mis-hits but still could feel the difference. I spent an hour on Trackman with a 6 iron and it was a very very solid club. Because of the loft differences that manufacturers have implemented, the six was more like a Taylormade seven, but thats just down to loft. The Ben Hogan 6 is at 30 degrees loft, while my Taylormade 7 is at 30.5. Tricks the manufacturers are playing to say their clubs go further I think.

As a result I don't feel the need to switch clubs, but I do feel like if I did not have the set I have now and were in the market for a great set of forgiving and powerful irons I would have a serious look at the Hogan irons. They start around 650 euro for a full set of irons, and given I thought they were every inch the same as my Taylormade, they seem like great value.

For the numbers inclined, i was hitting the Edge 6 Hogan/7 Taylormade 165 yard carry/175 total on average, thought my best would be up to 190 yard carry/205 total (so much work to do on my inconsistent swing!).

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭plumber77

I have been a bit curious about Ben Hogan Golf for a while and after I tried a few clubs through their demo program I thought I would give my impressions.

For anyone not familiar with Ben Hogan Golf, they are a club company that decided to go all online for sales, no middle man golf shops. Some will see this as a positive from the price perspective, or a negative in terms of not supporting golf shops or pro-shops. I think there is room for both models in the market.

I have tried two sets of 9 and 6 irons in their demo program. The Ft. Worth and the Edge irons. The Ft. Worth are a forged blade, and the Edge are a forged face perimeter weighted iron with a hollow cavity back that is filled with polycarbonate foam. Also interesting is their consistent 4-degree loft gaps between each iron, something that many leading club manufacturers have changed in recent years.

First I triend the Ft. Worth, maybe an ambitious play on my part. My golf is mid to high handicap. Mostly high. So I found the Ft. Worth just a bit too challenging to hit with. They were great with a perfect strike, but anything but was very penalizing. I absolutely loved the look of the irons but would have to become a much better ball striker to think playing with them would improve my game.

Next up were the the Edge irons. A tremendous set of irons for me! I hit them every inch as well as the Taylormade Speedblades I have in my bag, and they cost a fraction of the price. Great feel, forgiving on mis-hits but still could feel the difference. I spent an hour on Trackman with a 6 iron and it was a very very solid club. Because of the loft differences that manufacturers have implemented, the six was more like a Taylormade seven, but thats just down to loft. The Ben Hogan 6 is at 30 degrees loft, while my Taylormade 7 is at 30.5. Tricks the manufacturers are playing to say their clubs go further I think.

As a result I don't feel the need to switch clubs, but I do feel like if I did not have the set I have now and were in the market for a great set of forgiving and powerful irons I would have a serious look at the Hogan irons. They start around 650 euro for a full set of irons, and given I thought they were every inch the same as my Taylormade, they seem like great value.

For the numbers inclined, i was hitting the Edge 6 Hogan/7 Taylormade 165 yard carry/175 total on average, thought my best would be up to 190 yard carry/205 total (so much work to do on my inconsistent swing!).

If you're a mid/high handicap are they not pretty good distances with those clubs.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭Hoboo

Strangest post I've read in a while on so many levels. Not sure where to start.

Is this a paid promotion?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,053 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

190 yard carry with a 6/7 iron?
    15 yards is a lot of roll with a 7 iron too...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,384 ✭✭✭Deep Thought

Where did you get to try them if only sold online ?

The narrower a man’s mind, the broader his statements.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,384 ✭✭✭Deep Thought

Hoboo wrote: »

Post 5..is this you Ben..!!

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057961313

The narrower a man’s mind, the broader his statements.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭newindublin

Where did you get to try them if only sold online ?

You can try a couple clubs for 2 weeks for 30 euros (basically shipping costs there and back).

I said I would post in this thread about gift ideas.

But even if I had not, I don't see whats strange about posting about some clubs I tried out that maybe people have not heard of.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭Hoboo

True, just when you start playing (or maybe not) 18 months ago off 20, and then disparage Foregolf whilst promoting the idea of an online fitting and trial with an online only club maker, it all seems a bit strange (to me). Whilst also expecting 190 carry with a 6 iron.

Absolutely no offence meant, thanks for the report on your experience.

True, just when you start playing (or maybe not) 18 months ago off 20, and then disparage Foregolf whilst promoting the idea of an online fitting and trial with an online only club maker, it all seems a bit strange (to me). Whilst also expecting 190 carry with a 6 iron.

Absolutely no offence meant, thanks for the report on your experience.

I have to say you read a lot into what I posted.

I am not promoting anything. This is a forum about golf, heaven forbid I post about golf clubs.

When did I disparage Foregolf? I didnt, I have said the fitting was excellent.

And I didnt say i was expecting a 190 carry, I said that was my best hit of the day and it underscores my personal need for better consistency.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭dan_ep82

Can you choose lie angle when ordering the demo clubs?

• Advertisement

dan_ep82 wrote: »
    Can you choose lie angle when ordering the demo clubs?

Unfortunately no. You can choose is the club type and the shaft.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭BigChap1759

They have some beautiful looking irons but I think they have struggled financially over the last few years - when they were relaunched a few years ago I think it was only in the US.

If I remember correctly the Irons have lifts on them rather than a club number, is that still how they are?0

• Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭RoadRunner

I think they struggled to get their clubs in the hands of people. They shifted their business model and distribution to online order only. They will send you out a club or two free (or close to free!) so you can try it and allow you to then order the full set online. Their clubs are above the manufacture level of the major brands, in line more with the quality of the higher end miura/honma, but due to their business model they can do a full set of these for something like €650/700.

They can't custom fit you or sit down with you. So you have to know what shafts you want first. This is the opposite direction of recent times where you are advised to never buy off the shelf but have to be custom fit.

I've never hit one of their clubs so can't comment on the perceived quality of their irons. But great to hear newindublin's positive report. Pity they don't do single length :D

• Registered Users Posts: 15,832 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

RoadRunner wrote: »
    I think they struggled to get their clubs in the hands of people. They shifted their business model and distribution to online order only. They will send you out a club or two free (or close to free!) so you can try it and allow you to then order the full set online. Their clubs are above the manufacture level of the major brands, in line more with the quality of the higher end miura/honma, but due to their business model they can do a full set of these for something like €650/700.

They can't custom fit you or sit down with you. So you have to know what shafts you want first. This is the opposite direction of recent times where you are advised to never buy off the shelf but have to be custom fit.

I've never hit one of their clubs so can't comment on the perceived quality of their irons. But great to hear newindublin's positive report. Pity they don't do single length :D

look, we all know you well enough at this stage.
    you will be buying a set online in the next few week.
    realise you like them more than your existing clubs, but they woulkd be better if they were single length
    so you will get your epoxy glue stuff from under the sink and proceed to do a homemade surgical transplant operation from one set to the other. :D

Seve OB wrote: »
    you will get your epoxy glue stuff from under the sink and proceed to do a homemade surgical transplant operation from one set to the other

The lies are different so it won't work (also I don't keep the epoxy under the sink) :D

RoadRunner wrote: »
    The lies are different so it won't work (also I don't keep the epoxy under the sink) :D

I'll bet if you ring them up with the lies you want they would custom make you a single length set, as every club is hand made as I understand it. Of course it would be a one of a kind and no way to try them before hand, so I am certainly not advocating doing this! :D

I'll bet if you ring them up with the lies you want they would custom make you a single length set, as every club is hand made as I understand it. Of course it would be a one of a kind and no way to try them before hand, so I am certainly not advocating doing this! :D

The lie angle is only one of the variables. Also the head weights of their irons would be different from each other. If you took the pw and 4i head off the shaft of your (regular) clubs and weighed them the PW weight would be a good bit heavier than the 4i weight. (And also I can't afford new irons)

Do it.
    You know that you want to :D

Seve OB wrote: »
    look, we all know you well enough at this stage.
    you will be buying a set online in the next few week.
    realise you like them more than your existing clubs, but they woulkd be better if they were single length
    so you will get your epoxy glue stuff from under the sink and proceed to do a homemade surgical transplant operation from one set to the other. :D

He will cut them down himself and then add a load of lead tape to the heads to bring the swing weight back up:D

Unfortunately I’m 99% sure they couldn’t do that - the single length irons are pretty complex and difficult to get the launch etc required - you can’t just repurpose a normal set

• Advertisement

I hit the range tonight to practice some stuff from a lesson I had earlier this week, trying to improve on that consistency I mentioned before. I spent nearly the whole bucket of balls with my regular clubs, and only remembered I even had the demos when I had like 10 balls left.

Anyway, I was pretty impressed when I hit a few with the Hogan irons, the feel was for sure better on even a marginal mi****, but it was still forgiving enough to get out there. Not trying to sell the clubs to anyone, I was actually thinking myself I am not really in the market I was just trying these for fun..but now I am not so sure. I might be catching RoadRunner club buying flu?

can the lofts & lies be adjusted by a fitter?
    pointless buying them if not

Advertisement