Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting a gun deactivated

Options
  • 25-03-2019 7:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭

Anyone been through this process lately? Apparently it’s a lot more hassle and costly than it used to be. My grandfathers shotgun is coming up for re licensing and my Uncle wants to pass it down to me for future generations. I’d rather get it deactivated as I wouldn’t fancy using it and just keep it as a keepsake. I’ve been told that it will have to be sent away to the uk for proofing and it is a costly process.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭cookimonster

http://www.justice.ie/en/JELR/Pages/FAQ

Taken from the above......

What about deactivated firearms?

On April 8 2016 a new EU Deactivation Regulation came into force. It introduced new EU-wide standards for deactivated firearms to ensure that deactivated firearms cannot be reactivated. This Regulation also introduced an EU Deactivation Certificate and a new EU deactivation mark. This Regulation sets out a new set of deactivation requirements for anything deactivated from 8 April 2016 onwards.  It has subsequently been amended by Commission Implementing Regulation (EU) 2018/337 which came into effect on 20 June 2018 and which provides for revised technical specifications.    

Existing deactivated firearms not capable of being fired, may still be kept on the written authorisation of the local Superintendent. However, it should be noted the Regulation stipulates that these must be re-deactivated to the new EU deactivation standards upon sale, transfer or gift (including inheritance).

The only acceptable proof that a firearm is deactivated is an EU Deactivation Certificate.  No other Deactivation certificate can be accepted. This certificate can only be issued by an entity that has been approved as a deactivation verifier by an EU Member State. Ireland has not yet approved such an entity.  Ireland will accept certificates that have been issued by approved verifiers in other Member States. Click here for a list of verifying entities.

Where a deactivated firearm is being placed on the market or is changing ownership, the EU Deactivation Certificate must state that the firearm has been deactivated in accordance with the Commission Implementing Regulation (EU) 2018/337. The firearm must also have the new EU deactivation mark on it. Deactivated firearms that cannot meet this requirement will not be issued with an import licence.

If you are in any doubt or require further clarification in relation to the EU Deactivation Regulation, please email firearms_inbox@justice.ie

The list of approved agents for deactivating:
    http://www.justice.ie/en/JELR/List%20of%20entities%20authorised%20by%20EU%20Member%20States%20to%20verify%20deactivation%20of%20firearms.pdf/Files/List%20of%20entities%20authorised%20by%20EU%20Member%20States%20to%20verify%20deactivation%20of%20firearms.pdf

Advertisement