Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin to holyhead ferry with guns

Options
  • 25-03-2019 6:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭

Traveling from Dublin to Holyhead with irish ferries in a couple of weeks and just wondering what to expect with four guns in the boot !!!! Have all the paperwork in order europass and english permit but dont know what the story is with customs or the ferry company themselves

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭cookimonster

Haven't gone to UK with guns, rather France.

From my recent experience on both sides of the water, you won't have any dealings with the customs or security services.

Outward Journey Dublin Port:
    Upon checking in you'll need to notify the staff your carrying guns. Irish Ferries concerns will be that the guns are unloaded, 'broken'(bolts removed etc etc), secured in the boot of the car and most importantly 'No Ammonition'.

You may be asked to secure the guns on board with the crew or hand in your car keys, this was communicated but not carried out.

The car was put into a lane on its own and boarded last. During our waiting time customs complete with sniffer dog, came around checking other cars waiting to board. Even though we were in our own lane they never came near us.
    On board my car was isolated from other transport, I have 20 years experience ferrying to and from France and have had the car stored on various decks but never separated with the RVs and such when there was loads of room on the other decks.

On the return journey, Cherbourg:

Again check in and advise as to the carriage of firearms...... This time different approcah.
    We had to report to the Irish Ferries Office, as driver and lead passenger I had to make a declaration in writing via a form as to compliance with Irish Ferries Rules regarding firearms (as for the out going questions and conditions). My friend noticed that written on a white board in the back office was a list of exceptional cargo - x amount of dogs, 1 horse and 2 Firearms!!. Again we were separated from the normal lanes of traffic, this time with hazard lights on. Prior to actual driving onto the ship we were stopped and again asked were the guns broken, secured and that we had no ammo. We then boarded and despite the hazards we were directed to the car decks with the other passengers. After that it was normal sailing, no one came looking for us. We arrived back in Dublin, drove past some Gaurds, were stopped by customs who were only concerned as to how much wine we had brought over.

..... a bit long winded, but that's my experience traveling with Irish Ferries and firearms.

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭Hack12

Irish Ferries allow firearms and you must declare the guns at check in. They do not allow ammunition on board. Always travelled with Stena because of this as allowed 1K rounds per vehicle to the best of my memory.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Luckysasha

I knew about the ammo ban with Irish Ferries, no big deal we can buy ammo at the shoot. I have booked priority boarding and premium lounge but by whats you lads are saying they will board us separately so there goes my chance of getting out of Holyhead anyway quick !!!

The usually board you first and that means you're first off the ferry in Wales. Usually you're not checked in the UK unless stopped as all declared in Dublin.

Just make sure the serial numbers are exact match on EFP and GB pass to the firearms.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,033 ✭✭✭clivej

We always have to check in with customs and fill out a form before going near the checkin booth. Form requires each firearms details

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Luckysasha

clivej wrote: »
    We always have to check in with customs and fill out a form before going near the checkin booth. Form requires each firearms details

Is that in dublin clive ?. I am a bit confused do i need to go to the main terminal rather than the drive up booth to check on to the boat

You drive up to the booth and declare the guns there. Sometimes they don't check your guns as in physically take them out and check serial number and sometimes they do. That will be customs but they are not to bothered as you're leaving the country.

They want you flagged as firearms and in general the thinking is if there is a fire and you're the first car on they can dump your car into the sea.. (not practical with Irish Ferries as no ammo) but I'd say the rule was made up and carried on.

Also you generally hand over the keys of your car to a staff member (if they ask) on the ferry for the journey and they will be waiting for you when you arrive in Wales at the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭cookimonster

Luckysasha wrote: »
    I..... but by whats you lads are saying they will board us separately so there goes my chance of getting out of Holyhead anyway quick !!!

As per Hack12.... when we were separated out of the main group we were parked on the lower deck, usually reserved for high / large vechiles. So in fact we disembarked first.

Advertisement