Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Scott Walker RIP

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,032 ✭✭✭mosstin

I came to open a thread about exactly this. The greatest solo artist I've ever listened to. His career was the most remarkable - from a manufactured for TV boyband of sorts to avant-garde explorations of music which involved punching pieces of meat for percussive effect. An utter genius and maverick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Amazing talent, it's just as well he didn't give a feck in the way that Lou Reed and Captain Beefheart didn't with Metal Machine Music and Trout Mask Replica respectively.

The Walker Brothers* (*not actual brothers) were that rare beast an American act that reversed the British Invasion of mid 60s American chart music. But slightly differently in that they couldn't hardly get arrested at home but were chart toppers in UK whereas the Beatles etc were huge on both sides of Atlantic at same time.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,206 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

I mean, c'mon!

From Gary Barlow to this...

Hard to pick a favourite really but from the Scott 2.0 school, probably this.....

and from Scott 1.0 version, this......

• Registered Users Posts: 14,243 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Some of the most terrifying musical experiences I've ever had have been going to bed listening to music and then been shocked awake a few hours later with Scott Walker roaring and discordant horns blaring away like it's the end of the world.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Ha! I've had moments like that but it was just the World Service on LW when the reception goes all fuzzy and distorted (a bit like Scott Walker then :))

• Registered Users Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Anesthetize

I'll punch a donkey on the streets of Galway this evening in his honour.

We've lost Mark Hollis and now Scott. Two artists who turned their backs on pop music and reinvented themselves with spectacular results.

RIP Scott

I'll punch a donkey on the streets of Galway this evening in his honour.

We've lost Mark Hollis and now Scott. Two artists who turned their backs on pop music and reinvented themselves with spectacular results.

RIP Scott

I'm pretty binary when it comes to Scott and split people in two camps;

1. Those who admire his work.

2. Gob****es.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭pumpkin4life

So I hear this guy for the first time today. Play this.

This is fùcking fantastic.

I can't even compare this to anyone.

Insane. Man was 70 when he made this.

Advertisement