Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to find isopropyl alcohol (rubbing alcohol) in Dublin?

Options
  • 24-03-2019 4:12pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,022 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hi, hoping someone here can help me

Does anyone know where I could find isopropyl alcohol in Dublin? I've tried hardware shops, Woodies, etc with no luck. It's to kill a mealybug infestation on cacti - I don't want to use a pesticide as they are indoor plants.

Anyone know where i might be likely to find some in Dublin?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,432 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I just got some at my local pharmacy.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,022 Mod ✭✭✭✭wiggle16

I've tried two but neither had it... in one of them the girl didn't even know what it was and said the pub up the road might have it :pac:

Do you mind my asking where is your local pharmacy? As in, if it's a chain I might get it in another branch.

You can 100% buy it in radionics

wiggle16 wrote: »
    I've tried two but neither had it... in one of them the girl didn't even know what it was and said the pub up the road might have it :pac:

Do you mind my asking where is your local pharmacy? As in, if it's a chain I might get it in another branch.

It's a local one here in Bray, Cunningham's https://www.cunninghamspharmacybray.com/

Not part of a chain as far as I can tell. I got a 500ml bottle no problems at all, the name of the supplier on the bottle is Foran Healthcare in Dublin 10.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Its called surgical spirits in Ireland and available in most pharmacys

• Advertisement

iamwhoiam wrote: »

Amazing! Thanks a million! :)

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    Are you sure? I seem to remember that in the UK at least, Surgical Spirit BP was actually methylated spirits.

Alun wrote: »
    Are you sure? I seem to remember that in the UK at least, Surgical Spirit BP was actually methylated spirits.

Rubbing alcohol refers to either isopropyl alcohol (propan-2-ol) or ethanol based liquids, or the comparable British Pharmacopoeia defined surgical spirit, with isopropyl alcohol products being the most widely available. Rubbing alcohol is undrinkable even if it is ethanol based, due to the bitterants added.

https://www.quora.com/Why-is-it-so-hard-to-find-rubbing-alcohol-Isopropanol-in-the-UK

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Polar wizard adventure

It's not surgical spirits. I got some Isopropyl alcohol in a hardware shop on Capel Street.

It's not surgical spirits. I got some Isopropyl alcohol in a hardware shop on Capel Street.

It is the same thing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭RobTheLad

I've got it in Boots before at the pharmacy counter

• Registered Users Posts: 16,539 ✭✭✭✭banie01

I've bought 5ltrs recently at my local pharmacy.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,483 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

I bought some in Hickeys Grafton St a few weeks ago. I just asked for isopropyl. Boots Grafton st don’t stock it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

• Registered Users Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭ayatollah

Lennox lab supplies are very good and reasonable too

Thanks everyone! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,796 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Hey folks, is it best to buy the 99.9% lab grade stuff?

I just need it for cleaning some metal surfaces for now, I see 70% lotion stuff and then there's 99 and 99.9% "lab grade" stuff, which I'm guessing would have more applications and could be used where the 70% stuff can't in some cases, so given I only need a small bit for now, best to buy something that I'm most likely to be able to use again for something else.

Alun, any idea what type you got in that place in Bray?

There's plenty on Amazon, but none ship to Ireland. I could use parcel motel/wizard/address pal, but if I can get it for a similar price here, I'll do that. Have seen 1L for about €13 on Amazon, but about €20 in shops here :o

• Registered Users Posts: 5,323 ✭✭✭JustAThought

Are you sure it wont damage your cactai?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

cormie wrote: »
    Hey folks, is it best to buy the 99.9% lab grade stuff?

I just need it for cleaning some metal surfaces for now

It depends why you are cleaning them.

If it's for grime removal / degreasing, white spirit would work better, if it's prep for spraying or adhesive, the purest you can get is better as the diluted ones will leave a residue. Again white spirit is better, it just takes longer to evaporate.

Thanks Steve, yeah, it's for removing dirt/grease in preparation for adhesion, so my plan was to get a degreaser, spray that on and leave for a few minutes and clean away, then get a cloth and give a quick wipe over of the alcohol to prep it better for adhesion, so I think I'll stick with looking for the pure stuff :)

• Advertisement

Thanks Steve, yeah, it's for removing dirt/grease in preparation for adhesion, so my plan was to get a degreaser, spray that on and leave for a few minutes and clean away, then get a cloth and give a quick wipe over of the alcohol to prep it better for adhesion, so I think I'll stick with looking for the pure stuff :)
    Try this or similar, make sure it's low residue.

Do the heavy lifting with the degreaser first and use IPA just before the adhesive.

https://ie.farnell.com/mg-chemicals/824-500ml/ipa-electronic-cleaner-bottle/dp/2811963?st=isopropanol

(free delivery, use them all the time)

Cool, thanks a lot. Is that the same stuff from pharmacies, used for disinfecting a scrape on the skin or something like that too? Just to know if I can use it for that too :o

Yeah, I've heard the disinfectants referred to as rubbing alcohol and read they aren't suitable for cleaning, but is the 99.7% stuff suitable for what rubbing alcohol is for, as in, cleaning scrapes and that on the skin I wonder?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭Roen

Yeah, I've heard the disinfectants referred to as rubbing alcohol and read they aren't suitable for cleaning, but is the 99.7% stuff suitable for what rubbing alcohol is for, as in, cleaning scrapes and that on the skin I wonder?

In terms of disinfectant properties you're better off with a lower % IPA.
    70% is far more desirable. Need water to get into the cell walls of the bad guys.
    Thirty years on and that first stint in college has paid off.

Haha, interesting, thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,224 ✭✭✭alaimacerc

I'm looking for some -- or an acceptable alternative -- for cleaning my phone's charging port. My usual pharmacy were completely out of it, but said it was usually €15-20 for 0.5l. I imagine most others will be in a similar price ranage. That's also way more than I need, but the scalpers on donedeal looking for a fiver for a tenth of that quantity pain me even more.

Maybe I'd be as well off with some meths, or the WD40-branded 'contact cleanier'?

I bought 3L of this recently, use it for work and also de-coviding the groceries. more than you need but half the price you are looking at.

https://ie.farnell.com/electrolube/ipa01l/isopropanol-tin-1l/dp/106970

• Registered Users Posts: 7,224 ✭✭✭alaimacerc

Steve wrote: »
    I bought 3L of this recently, use it for work and also de-coviding the groceries. more than you need but half the price you are looking at.

https://ie.farnell.com/electrolube/ipa01l/isopropanol-tin-1l/dp/106970
    Hrm, €25 when they add VAT and shipping, mind. Though an option if I decide to bulk-buy and become one of those cheesy donedeal resellers myself! :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement