Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CCTV and GDPR for schools?

Options
  • 24-03-2019 10:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 2

I'm 18 and a leaving cert student, and my school is accusing me of vandalism which I had nothing to do with and say they have CCTV footage of me but are refusing to show me it. Would I be right in saying that seeing as I'm 18, the data protection act and GDPR mean they technically breaking the law by withholding the footage?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

You have a right to see yourself in the video , no one else.

Alternatively, tell them call the gardai who will view it.

I assume they have signs up concerning the CCTV cameras!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

If it's not you then they have no requirement to hand it over to you under data protection :pac:

But then again, if it is you then they may reserve the right to hand it over to the gardai for criminal damage charges, so maybe that trumps your GDPR rights.

Either way, you didn't do it so just forget about it, tell them do whatever they want... unless you did do it.

But it would be interesting if you put in a data protection request on the basis that you are in it committing damage. You might end up incriminating yourself if the person in it can't easily be identified... but you say it's you.

Let us know how you get on either way.

Advertisement