Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Plant Potatoes on blight ground

Options
  • 23-03-2019 9:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭

Hi
    I am thinking I might plant potatoes in ground where I got blight. Will blight come back. I burnt the infected potatoes at the time.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

It should be fine, but go for a blight resistant variety to be sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭raher1

I am going for queens potatoes.
    It should be fine, but go for a blight resistant variety to be sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Queens are susceptible to blight
    raher1 wrote: »
    I am going for queens potatoes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

How long ago did you have potatoes growing in this particular spot in the garden? Ideally you should have some form of rotation so having had spuds in one area they aren't back there for another couple of years.

If you are planting now and harvest early as tasty small new potatoes then blight will be much less of a problem than if you try to grow huge tasteless floury "new" potatoes.

Could you recommend a good potatoes, something tasty.
    Queens are susceptible to blight

• Advertisement

It must have been five six years since I tried this plot.
    my3cents wrote: »
    How long ago did you have potatoes growing in this particular spot in the garden? Ideally you should have some form of rotation so having had spuds in one area they aren't back there for another couple of years.

If you are planting now and harvest early as tasty small new potatoes then blight will be much less of a problem than if you try to grow huge tasteless floury "new" potatoes.

British Queen (Queens) is a second early but first earlies have less chance of getting blight. I like the old varieties Sharps Express and Arran Pilot but they are susceptible to blight. One I did find and liked was Colleen which has some resistance.

What's a good main crop?
    British Queen (Queens) is a second early but first earlies have less chance of getting blight. I like the old varieties Sharps Express and Arran Pilot but they are susceptible to blight. One I did find and liked was Colleen which has some resistance.

raher1 wrote: »
    What's a good main crop?

The one I've read about for blight resistance but never tried is Sarpo mira, I believe its a floury spud so not really to my taste.

There are two effects on blight on potatoes one is on the foliage the other the tuber. Years ago I grew a lot of King Edward which used to get really badly affected tubers after the foliage got blight. Later I grew Rooster which also gets blighted foliage but not as bad damage to the tubers. Golden wonder which is very flowery also has good tuber resistance to blight. For taste I've always preferred Rooster.

Then again I really like the more exotic spuds like Pink Fir Apple which I know only too has very poor blight resistance and is susceptible to most of the diseases that potatoes can get. Still worth growing though for the taste.

I planted Kerr pinks and roosters. Fingers crossed it works.
    The one I've read about for blight resistance but never tried is Sarpo mira, I believe its a floury spud so not really to my taste.

There are two effects on blight on potatoes one is on the foliage the other the tuber. Years ago I grew a lot of King Edward which used to get really badly affected tubers after the foliage got blight. Later I grew Rooster which also gets blighted foliage but not as bad damage to the tubers. Golden wonder which is very flowery also has good tuber resistance to blight. For taste I've always preferred Rooster.

Then again I really like the more exotic spuds like Pink Fir Apple which I know only too has very poor blight resistance and is susceptible to most of the diseases that potatoes can get. Still worth growing though for the taste.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

We always used jeyes fluid on the leaves to deal with blight.

Kerr pinks sprouted after 20 days

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭recedite

Don't worry about it. You'll likely get some amount of blight anyway, depending on the variety and the weather.

They are starting to spourt which is a good sign.

They worked out ok. I had some worm problems but generally a nice crop of potatoes.

Advertisement