Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mountain Ash hedges

Options
  • 23-03-2019 5:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭

Just got some free mountain ash saplings from the gardeners at Ardgillan Castle.

I know they can grow to huge sizes but they mentioned that if pruned they can be trained into a hedge.

Anyone know how close together I can plant them to achieve this?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Lucky you.

I was out looking at my hedgerows today and they need a lot of work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

They are far from huge trees and can be quite shrubby. They need to be planted fairly close - 5 per meter - to make a half decent hedge. Much better to grow them as trees.

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭Coz

They are far from huge trees and can be quite shrubby. They need to be planted fairly close - 5 per meter - to make a half decent hedge. Much better to grow them as trees.

Oh really? The guys in Ardgillan mentioned they grow to 40m.

The idea of their project was try a develop hedgerows as pollenators and for wildlife. They gave away about 1500 mountain ash and Hawthorne saplings to the public. We've small kids so we steered away from the thorny one but want to keep the ethos of the project.

Also we don't have a huge garden so 5 fully grown trees might be a bit much!!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,136 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

you sure they didn't mean ash trees? mountain ash trees and ash trees are different beasts.

you sure they didn't mean ash trees? mountain ash trees and ash trees are different beasts.

Correct but Ash won't do much for a hedge or pollenating.

• Advertisement

Coz wrote: »
    Oh really? The guys in Ardgillan mentioned they grow to 40m.

The idea of their project was try a develop hedgerows as pollenators and for wildlife. They gave away about 1500 mountain ash and Hawthorne saplings to the public. We've small kids so we steered away from the thorny one but want to keep the ethos of the project.

Also we don't have a huge garden so 5 fully grown trees might be a bit much!!

40m? 10 is the usual but you'll get some to 15. Mine are 40 years old and only 7m. What space have you for trees, as these don't take up much?

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭Coz

40m? 10 is the usual but you'll get some to 15. Mine are 40 years old and only 7m. What space have you for trees, as these don't take up much?

Just checked their FB post and it says 15m so I must have misheard.

It's the front garden of an average 3bed semi.

Advertisement