Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to buy cruiser fairings and panniers in the EU

Options
  • 23-03-2019 2:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭

Hey guys!

So, I'm considering picking up a few bits and pieces for the bike (Dragstar 650 Classic).

3jtpFndl.jpg
    OoT2Kqwl.jpg

I've been looking into adding on a batwing fairing to the front and while I'm not looking to blow massive amounts of cash to get one that includes a stereo and all that ****e I do love the general style, but I'm coming across a few issues.

1/ The main manufacturer here in the EU is Motea. Their user reviews here are fairly shocking, with complaints of no delivery or long delays. Looking at Ebay the seem to dominate too.

2/ The other issue is none of their fairings come with mounting kits. While my bike has a windscreen, I really doubt the mounting system can double over for a batwing fairing too.

3/ As mine is a classic style, it has lights at the front which seems to contradict the majority of offers from sites like Motea.

4/ None of the buggers seem to sell the windscreen to go with it!

Any help here would be massively appreciated as I'd like to have this sorted out before the summer hits.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

If I was looking for Cruiser parts I wouldn't bother with the EU.
    I would go direct to the US and look at someone like Dennis Kirk.
    They have massive amounts of stock and for Cruiser stuff the US can't be beat.
    The Dragstar is called the V-star in the US
    Memphis shades sell a batwing fairing for 299, use Addresspal and the postage is reasonable.
    https://www.denniskirk.com/memphis-shades/batwing-fairing-mem7011.p233136.prd/233136.sku

• Registered Users Posts: 18,964 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

CJhaughey wrote: »
    Memphis shades sell a batwing fairing for 299, use Addresspal and the postage is reasonable.
    https://www.denniskirk.com/memphis-shades/batwing-fairing-mem7011.p233136.prd/233136.sku

Don't forget about VAT, and possibly duty, when it lands here and the processing fee from the delivery company, it can make a reasonable price expensive quickly.

Also I'd be wary buying items like this from countries outside the EU as returns will be expensive if there are any issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Del2005 wrote: »
    Don't forget about VAT, and possibly duty, when it lands here and the processing fee from the delivery company, it can make a reasonable price expensive quickly.

Also I'd be wary buying items like this from countries outside the EU as returns will be expensive if there are any issues.

That is exactly my concern, I should have put that in the OP but I was typing in a bit of a rush.

I've been stung a few times ordering stuff from the US, either getting hit by customs or having hell attempting to refund.

edit:
    At CJhaughey, thanks a million for that site though. I'll have a dig through it and see what I can find.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,860 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Use 'an posts' us parcel service.

listermint wrote: »
    Use 'an posts' us parcel service.

Won't that still result in Customs and VAT?

• Advertisement

As I stated use Addresspal and it makes it very reasonable, you may pay vat but the cost of delivery isn’t huge and an post doesn’t charge handling fees like dhl fedex etc . I use them a lot and they are my preferred method. If you can buy that type of fairing as cheaply in Europe then go for it. But I doubt you’ll be able to.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,766 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

good link that.

OP, here's the specific Yamaha one: https://www.denniskirk.com/memphis-shades/batwing-fairing-mem7091.p233742.prd/233742.sku

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭WestWicklow1

As I stated use Addresspal and it makes it very reasonable, you may pay vat but the cost of delivery isn’t huge and an post doesn’t charge handling fees like dhl fedex etc . I use them a lot and they are my preferred method. If you can buy that type of fairing as cheaply in Europe then go for it. But I doubt you’ll be able to.

Interested in this.... An Post charge me each time €10.00 to collect vat and or duty at the door. Are you saying there is no charge if you use addresspal?

Addresspal have a fixed price for shipping from the US and that is factored into the VAT price.
    If you use a courier like the aforementioned ones they factor the shipping price plus the article value and then add a handling/collection charge.
    When I have ordered stuff from the US I provide a screenshot of the Ebay link or an invoice that shows the value and if its under a certain point there is no VAT due and the package is delivered.
    If you go over the threshold then VAT may be due and Addresspal will pay it and you pay them €10 or so which is pretty reasonable IMO considering its delivered to your door.
    I have had to pay Fedex or DHL a lot more when I ordered stuff even if it was only a very small cost they still whack on a big handling fee, I remember paying them €30 or so for an $80 USD item.
    Thats why I use Addresspal now.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,283 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Be careful sizewise with addresspal or your item might be sent back.
    Check here https://addresspal.anpost.ie/pricing-sizing

• Advertisement

I think I've managed to find UK sourced company, DXMoto.com.

https://www.dxmoto.com/catalog/product/view/id/102764

Emailed them over the weekend with some questions, they came back with information on the mounting kits (not provided) they sell. Sadly no windscreens provided by them, so may be off to ebay for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Thinkingaboutit

Ebay seems to be the place to go for me, as I'm hoping to find the Magna deluxe fairing which provided some much needed wind protection to the Magna without a full scale screen, but the prices are a bit whacky (for example).

Advertisement