Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lawn in a mess, need advise

Options
  • 23-03-2019 2:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭

I know very little about gardening so all advice appreciated. My lawn is in a state after the winter. Dandelions everywhere, one patch where the grass has died off completely. I want to try to get a nice lawn back. Should I hire someone to rotivate it and plant grass seed? I have cats and a crawling baby so don’t want to put weed killer down as the cats will walk it in and the baby might get it in his mouth. What should I do? It’s an average size garden in a east/west facing house so lots of sun after midday.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,539 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Mow it now.
    Two weeks in reasonable weather use a “weed and d feed” type product.

You’ll get lawn repair seed packs these will patch up any bare areas but use the seed and feed first as new grass is too soft for them.

Keep mowing regularly and it will thicken up.

Use a lawn feed every 6 or so weeks to feed the grass.

Remember grass is just a plant, we mow every week taking away energy with every mow, as the grass uses up nutrients from the ground. Eventually the grass is starving and you keep mowing and it weakens letting in weeds and moss.

It will add some work but feeding grass regularly, not over feeding, will keep it healthy and strong.

Most weeds hate regular mowing.

Advertisement