Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Canon EOS RP

Options
  • 22-03-2019 11:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,634 ✭✭✭

Hi folks,

Just wondering if anyone has any opinions on the EOS RP?

I’m thinking of upgrading from a 800d for full frame and its better low light performance.

I’ll be using nearly exclusively for stills as don’t really do video.

Any thoughts and comments appreciated!

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭IrishHomer

jenno86 wrote: »
    Hi folks,

Just wondering if anyone has any opinions on the EOS RP?

I’m thinking of upgrading from a 800d for full frame and its better low light performance.

I’ll be using nearly exclusively for stills as don’t really do video.

Any thoughts and comments appreciated!

Thanks in advance.

This camera is so new I'd say very few members here have it yet to comment.

Online reviews are not too great. Lenses for it are expensive also.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,634 ✭✭✭jenno86

IrishHomer wrote: »
    This camera is so new I'd say very few members here have it yet to comment.

Online reviews are not too great. Lenses for it are expensive also.

Thanks. Yes, reviews not all that positive as they are all talking about the video options and lack there of.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

jenno86 wrote: »
    Thanks. Yes, reviews not all that positive as they are all talking about the video options and lack there of.

I have the Canon Eos R. While quite different from the RP it's about as close as you might get.

The R has the sensor from the 5D mkIV
    And the RP has the sensor from the 6D mkII.

I believe the main difference between the 6D mkII would be the focusing points which are far greater than that of the 6d mkII. But the image quality should be the same for both cameras.

Obviously the other big improvement here is the advantages of a mirrorless camera. IMO the main of which are being able to see the image you are going to take straight from the viewfinder before you click the shutter. I've been shooting a DSLR for 10 years before moving to the Eos R in November. Experience and skill shooting should let you know what you'll get from any camera, but there's definitely an improvement here. I am a still shooter too, so the video options don't benefit me either. So far I love the camera, it is everything I ever wanted from it and I felt like I put a lot of research in before pulling the trigger.

It does depend on what you want from a camera, and perhaps how quickly you want to pull the trigger. There's benefits to waiting a little while to see how things fall. But your circumstance might change things also. Do you have any nice full frame compatible lenses that you'll be bringing from your 800D? If so this might give reason to stick with Canon. If not then there's much less reason, and perhaps other systems will do what you need.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

If you already shoot EF glass and are still focused it seems like an ideal buy tbh. Maybe wait a little while to see that QC holds up.

Advertisement