Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Remove Gas Fire and Level wall

Options
  • 22-03-2019 6:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭

Hi,

I've spent a long time googling this and can't get exactly what I'm after.

Basically its your standard Irish terrace house I have.

The main wall in the sitting room as gas fireplace and around it the hearth.

What I'm looking to do is have the whole thing removed and then the wall leveled out, at present there's the normal two alcoves like whats in the picture (not mine :) )

I know I'd need a gas registered plumber to remove the fire itself (probably electrician too??)

Is the wall thats out easy to remove, feels like its just plaster board not brick.

Does anyone have any experience with this how much it might cost and all.

Any advice would be great.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

I'm guessing the 'wall' you'd like to remove is the original chimney. Does it look the same in the room above your sitting room?

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭leduigs

Graham wrote: »
    I'm guessing the 'wall' you'd like to remove is the original chimney. Does it look the same in the room above your sitting room?

Sorry mate, no the walls above are flat...never thought about that, guessing that means it would be easier, I checked the attic and there's a small steal chimney flue running between the houses.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭leduigs

I forgot to attach the picture but this is of mine btw

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭John_caffrey

Sorry can't see the photo but do you mind take a look here and tell me what you think?

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058204050/what-is-the-purpose-of-this-structure-in-the-sitting-room-can-it-be-removed-urgent-please#latest

The wall we are dealing with, unlike the photos, has no fireplace (neither gas nor electric)! Just a plasterboard wall, and behind seems empty however the floor at its bottom is bare and the ceiling is open.

Advertisement