Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Blockchain related courses(Javascript and Solidity etc)

Options
  • 22-03-2019 3:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,757 ✭✭✭

Hello, Ive been looking at whats required to get into Blockchain development.

I dont have any previous programming experience apart from some basic VBA and Sql scripts.

Javascript and Solidity are recommended pathways into a Blockchain career.

Can anyone recommend an Online course in these.

I know Ecollege have one Javascript course. Would the standard from Coursera etc be superior to Ecollege or vice versa.

In general what Online Course providers are recommended on Boards. Ive seen Allison is not recommended and am only aware of Coursera and Udemy apart from the individual Unis.

Thanks for any advice.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭Anima

What are you trying to get out of it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,757 ✭✭✭stockshares

Anima wrote: »
    What are you trying to get out of it?

I have completed an SQL Server Fundamentals course and was considering further studies in SQL but Blockchain seems to be replacing the old Database sytems.

I would therefore like to be get a recognised qualification in Blockchain related technology that would enable me to work within the Blockchain Industry.

I realise thats its a long process but the length of time to become a Database Admin is considerable also. I just want to be on the right pathway into the Industry.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭Anima

SQL but Blockchain seems to be replacing the old Database sytems.

I don't know where you read that but it's completely wrong :confused: The whole thing is so new, I don't think any qualification would be worth anything to you. Especially without a decent programming background to begin with.

Anyone really getting a job doing blockchain related work has probably been there since the beginning or has worked on an opensource blockchain project.

I think you're better off being the database admin which there are a lot more roles for being honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,757 ✭✭✭stockshares

I don't know where you read that but it's completely wrong :confused: The whole thing is so new, I don't think any qualification would be worth anything to you. Especially without a decent programming background to begin with.

Anyone really getting a job doing blockchain related work has probably been there since the beginning or has worked on an opensource blockchain project.

I think you're better off being the database admin which there are a lot more roles for being honest.

I think more and more companies, especially large corporations are looking to move over to Blockchain eventually.

Re programming
    Whats the best entry level course you know of. A Java foundations course was recommended to me by Ecollege

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,718 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

I'd agree with this. The companies I work with locally, e.g. ESBI, OSi, that are getting involved with blockchain tend to be doing it more at a research than production level. Those that I know who are involved are already technically very strong.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 4,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭deconduo

I think more and more companies, especially large corporations are looking to move over to Blockchain eventually.

Very much disagree with this. Blockchain has a couple of interesting and niche uses. However in no way shape or form will replace the role of a relational database.

They do very different things in different ways. Just like how NoSQL changed and enhanced the way we do web applications but we still use traditional databases.

Also, the role of a DBA is changing these days - becomingly more cloud focused with things like PaaS databases taking away a lot of the more manual tasks. It's good to be aware of the way things are changing, but don't be naive about the impact of blockchain.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭bpmurray

Blockchain is a ledger, not a database! It's for tracking and managing ledger items, e.g. money or property transfers, chain of custody, etc. - that's the kind of thing it's good at. It's based on the absence of trust between parties. On the other hand, a database is used to track information, and there's an implied trust between parties.

In any case, programming a blockchain system is non-trivial, quite unlike DB access. If you're looking at databases, learn how to use high-performance databases (Oracle, DB2 or Postgresql) which can handle billions of transactions a day. And then learn how to use NoSQL databases - quite weird once you learn RDBMS's. If you achieve that, you'll be doing well. Actually, perhaps you misheard - the move is from some of the other DB's like SQL Server, MySQL, etc. to the NoSQL model.

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭14ned

Firstly I couldn't agree more that Blockchain ain't displacing any kind of database. If anything, there has been retrenchment from NoSQL adoption, partially because SQL upped its game, partially because ACID turns out to be actually important, and partially because devs good at SQL are far easier to find than those good at NoSQL. Traditional databases will remain a staple of scalable application delivery until the end of computing.
    bpmurray wrote: »
    Blockchain is a ledger, not a database! It's for tracking and managing ledger items, e.g. money or property transfers, chain of custody, etc. - that's the kind of thing it's good at. It's based on the absence of trust between parties. On the other hand, a database is used to track information, and there's an implied trust between parties.

This is only true for some kinds of blockchain, but not others. Depends on the design. In a past role of mine they effectively were implementing a distributed key-value store by blockchain. Very different design to bitcoin's, but it had crypto-secured proof of work etc.

BTW this database had an update latency of about twenty seconds. They were trying to get it below ten seconds. I doubt they succeeded. Query latency was about seven seconds. Way, way different to any SQL database, many orders of magnitude different.

Niall

Advertisement