Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Disc-less Xbox One S

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭Faker74

A nice option to have out there. Not one I'd use as my Xbox One S is used as much as a blu-ray player as it is a console, but I can see for a lot of people how this, presumably cheaper, version would be ideal.

I just hope they don't do away with disc drives in future generations.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Grand option for those who prefer digital, and more choice is always great. Personally I'd never get it, as I'd hate to lose the ability to a) buy cheap 2nd hand games and b) trade new games back in to get a lot of the value back.

But for people who prefer digital, and people who'd just invest in say, Gamepass and/or EA Access, it's a very neat offering.

Wonder how much it'll be considering it comes with 3 games.

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭WarpAsylum

Xbox One SAD

...yeah. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

Perhaps I'm wrong but I thought the big pull of the S is that it was the cheapest 4k Blu Ray player around?
    Everyone and their dog know that's MS are struggling for games of late. Perhaps if it's astonishingly cheap.

Any prices available yet?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

theteal wrote: »
    Perhaps I'm wrong but I thought the big pull of the S is that it was the cheapest 4k Blu Ray player around?
    Everyone and their dog know that's MS are struggling for games of late. Perhaps if it's astonishingly cheap.

No prices yet, and I can't imagine that cutting the price of a disc drive would make that much difference to the cost of the machine. Microsoft could make the decision that the digital sales from a disc-less console would more than make up for a price cut, so that's one way that they could stomach a $50/€50 price cut.

An all digital console has started to make sense though, I'd be somewhat surprised if there wasn't a similar version for PS5 as well. Just look at the recent sales data, showing a massive increase in digital sales, which is only going to continue.

There's also meant to be a disc-to-digital trade in program as well, but we haven't heard much from that since bdsams broke the news.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,352 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

If this is a reasonable price it'll be a great entertainment hub for a sitting room. Games, Netflix etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

CatInABox wrote: »
    No prices yet, and I can't imagine that cutting the price of a disc drive would make that much difference to the cost of the machine. Microsoft could make the decision that the digital sales from a disc-less console would more than make up for a price cut, so that's one way that they could stomach a $50/€50 price cut.

An all digital console has started to make sense though, I'd be somewhat surprised if there wasn't a similar version for PS5 as well. Just look at the recent sales data, showing a massive increase in digital sales, which is only going to continue.

There's also meant to be a disc-to-digital trade in program as well, but we haven't heard much from that since bdsams broke the news.

Oh, I'm all about the move to digital. I only own 2 game disks. It's just I feel the move could be badly timed in the xbox life-cycle - xbox popularity, games wise, is possibly as low as I've ever seen it. I'd imagine there will be massive marketing push for Game Pass to coincide with this launch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,505 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

Don't worry, the standalone Disc drive add-on will be coming soon :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

WarpAsylum wrote: »
    Xbox One SAD

...yeah. :rolleyes:
    I think you'll find that it's XBox One SADE and it'll be a smooth operator.

... I'll let myself out.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Oh, I'm all about the move to digital. I only own 2 game disks. It's just I feel the move could be badly timed in the xbox life-cycle - xbox popularity, games wise, is possibly as low as I've ever seen it. I'd imagine there will be massive marketing push for Game Pass to coincide with this launch.

Honestly, this console is a bit of a side effect of their xCloud project, they needed a new set up for their data centres, one without a disc drive. Once they'd gone through the hassle of creating it, then they might as well see if they could release it to the general public.

If this is a hit, then I can definitely see them pushing the disc-less version of the next Xbox way more.

• Advertisement

This will be the hardware that comes with the xbox as a service offer. Pay a monthly subscription for the hardware + Games pass. You own the hardware outright after 3 years I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,464 ✭✭✭ibFoxer

This will be the hardware that comes with the xbox as a service offer. Pay a monthly subscription for the hardware + Games pass. You own the hardware outright after 3 years I think.

IIRC isn't this an actual thing in the states?

ibFoxer wrote: »
    IIRC isn't this an actual thing in the states?

Yes it's called Xbox All Access. Didn't realise it was actually available already, and seems like they don't do it anymore:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/store/b/xboxallaccess

Would have made sense to have a diskless box with this offer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,773 ✭✭✭donaghs

Anyway of finding a full list of xbox one games available for download? if you go with the disc-less model.

e.g. hard to tell whats download or disc: https://www.xbox.com/en-IE/games/xbox-one?cat=newreleases

donaghs wrote: »
    Anyway of finding a full list of xbox one games available for download? if you go with the disc-less model.

e.g. hard to tell whats download or disc: https://www.xbox.com/en-IE/games/xbox-one?cat=newreleases

All Xbox One games are available digitally.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,773 ✭✭✭donaghs

Looks like the disc drive has advantages if you want to play older Xbox games

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭Mervyn Skidmore

This can be got for around 145 euro now. Is it worth it. I've been out of the gaming world for a while now. Last console, and I still play it, is a ps3.

Advertisement