Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Does this garden need to be rotavated ?

Options
  • 21-03-2019 7:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭

Trying to get a nice lawn for the summer.

The bit down the bottom corner is much higher and the bit round the base of the tree is a bit lower so the whole lots needs leveling out.
    Would rotavate, level and re-seed the best option ?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,295 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Without seeing the situation a couple of things come to mind. First if you rotovate close to the tree you will do damage to the roots, and second, if you build up soil around the tree you could create problems from covering the trunk - depends a bit on age, type of tree and degree of slope.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

sorry, I didn't realise the photo had not attached !

Thanks for the info

• Registered Users Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭macraignil

RobAMerc wrote: »
    Trying to get a nice lawn for the summer.

The bit down the bottom corner is much higher and the bit round the base of the tree is a bit lower so the whole lots needs leveling out.
    Would rotavate, level and re-seed the best option ?

Thanks in advance.

As stated already the roots of trees will be damaged by rotavating. Also being an urban garden there may very well be concrete blocks, foundation concrete or other materials not far from the surface. The existing grass looks mostly OK to me and I can't see in the photo the difference in levels you mention in your post. Rotavating the whole area for such a small change in level and destroying all the existing grass to reseed again sounds like a big waste of time and effort in my opinion. To be honest though I have never understood the obsession some people have with a perfectly level mono-culture of grass. If there is an area that is not growing grass as you would like it to why not replace it with some nice flowering shrubs or even some fruit bushes?

Advertisement