Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Site for beehives ballina killaloe

Options
  • 21-03-2019 1:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭

Hi everybody,
    I m on the lookout for a good place to put some beehives, I m a beginner so it 'll be small to start probably 2 hives but if it's a good site could extend that to 5/6 in coming years. The inside of a ditch that s protected from livestock or pets in a field or accessible garden would be great and out of view of the public as sometimes people like to tip them over or even Rob them. I live in an estate myself so garden surrounded by neighbours, might be ok to build up a small colony but not enough for a full hive. Bees are great for your garden or crops.
    If anybody could help that would be great, please pm me. I have a spare suit so would be happy to show you how it all works, (provided I can figure it out myself). I am doing a course at present so that will help.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,991 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Hi everybody,
    I m on the lookout for a good place to put some beehives, I m a beginner so it 'll be small to start probably 2 hives but if it's a good site could extend that to 5/6 in coming years. The inside of a ditch that s protected from livestock or pets in a field or accessible garden would be great and out of view of the public as sometimes people like to tip them over or even Rob them. I live in an estate myself so garden surrounded by neighbours, might be ok to build up a small colony but not enough for a full hive. Bees are great for your garden or crops.
    If anybody could help that would be great, please pm me. I have a spare suit so would be happy to show you how it all works, (provided I can figure it out myself). I am doing a course at present so that will help.

You should be able to find a local farmer who would facilitate such a venture. Most farmers these days are very aware of the benefits of bio-diversity and also the plight of bees etc and some should have a spot that would be easily fenced to protect the hives from livestock.
    Some even have fencing already in place to protect hedge habitats.
    The problem might be access permission ..... but with the right approach a mutually beneficial arrangement could be arranged.
    Who would not like some good honey? :)

It sounds like a great hobby .... even future business!.

Good luck. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

i think there's a killaloe community garden - near the tennis courts, could ask in there

or there's Jim Cronin commercial organic farmer in nearby Bridgetown

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭Donadea Leo

fryup wrote: »
    i think there's a killaloe community garden - near the tennis courts, could ask in there

or there's Jim Cronin commercial organic farmer in nearby Bridgetown

Thanks, good ideas, I had previously got on to community garden informally but they were a bit worried about swarming and being blamed, I might get on to them again, as it was a few years ago when I was thinking about it. I 'll also follow up with that other person, thanks a million.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

oh btw....if you're willing to travel...there's also seed savers in Scarrif and the woodland kitchen in Mountshannon

Advertisement