Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Diminishing returns for insulation

Options
  • 21-03-2019 12:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭

Hi all,

Just wondering if anyone has ever come across a graph illustrating diminishing returns of insulation as in graphing kW/yr against R value to give an indication of when enough is enough.. We are trying to get out ducks in a row to start a self build (3000 sq ft, south facing 2 storey, large southern windows with limited north facing glass), currently trying to work out "ideal" insulation levels for floors/cavity walls. Everyone I've spoken to that has built recently is of the opinion that put in as much as possible but from my calculations the payback/savings reduces dramatically after you go over 100mm PIR.. I am just starting to try to work this out so any insights/advice any one can offer is greatly appreciated.

Thanking you,

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 41,229 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Jcanty85 wrote: »
    Hi all,

Just wondering if anyone has ever come across a graph illustrating diminishing returns of insulation as in graphing kW/yr against R value to give an indication of when enough is enough.. We are trying to get out ducks in a row to start a self build (3000 sq ft, south facing 2 storey, large southern windows with limited north facing glass), currently trying to work out "ideal" insulation levels for floors/cavity walls. Everyone I've spoken to that has built recently is of the opinion that put in as much as possible but from my calculations the payback/savings reduces dramatically after you go over 100mm PIR.. I am just starting to try to work this out so any insights/advice any one can offer is greatly appreciated.

Thanking you,

you need to first work out what the minimum thickness you need use are... and work back from there.

These thicknesses will be affected by other decision such as heating system, ventilation, windows etc.... so you cant just look at insulation on its own in isolation.

after you have a Preliminary Part L assessment carried out... you might find these questions already answered for you.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

Check out the passive house software.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Jcanty85

BryanF wrote: »
    Check out the passive house software.

Hi Bryan, what software in particular would you recommend?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

Advertisement