Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

questions after licence migrate

Options
  • 21-03-2019 12:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys,

I have been riding a vespa 50 on my UK B licence for the last 6 or 7 years, and i was told last week that due to brexit i would not be able to drive/ride after next week.

So

I went to the licence office yesterday - paid my 55 euro and transfered to an Irish licence.

I got up to leave and he said, you cant ride a bike out of here,

turns out there is no B in the irish lcience, so i now cannot ride my scooter

so im looking for advice,

1. how can i quicky get on my bike ? is it just a matter of getting the learner permit, and the theory test ? - can i ride them on L PLATES ? - or do i have to to the IBT AM course first ? - or do i have to pass a test then first ?

2. is there any point just doing the AM ? should i just take the hit and do the full A IBT ?

im 47 years old, and did plan one day to upgrade off the vespa. this is a great oppertunity to do this .

I have had a look at RSA site and its so confusing? - when can i ride ? - do i have to do the training and then wait for a TEST - and then i can ride ? - or can i ride as a learner ?

3. - can any one input into experience or reviews of the weekend IBT at

.irishmotorcycletraining.com/learn-to-ride-a-motorbike-in-a-weekend/

or advise good reviews of IBT training centres - im in Dublin ( Blanch ) but can drive within reasonable distances.

Thanks Laurence

hope you dont mind a vespa rider in the bike forum !

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭Ljmscooter

replying to my own threadm but

to get a leaner pernit, it this a new licence ? or when i complete

w.ndls.ie/images/Documents/LearnerPermits/D201_Learner_Permit_app_form.pdf

does this just add the bike catoigorry ( AM,A1,A2,A whichever i pick ) to my new car licence that im waiting on in the post ??

sure he cold have told me that yestertday in the office. ......

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 994 Mod ✭✭✭✭LookBehindYou

1,www.theorytest.ie for Theory test booking (motorcycle)
    2, www.ndls.ie to apply for learner permit for all bike categories (am,a1,a2,A)
    2, IBT
    4, good to go on your bike after insuring it.

Thansk for the reply,

in the process now,

seems i need a PSC card before i can book theory - sorting that
    I need to do the AM theory - so i need to research maeterial, i did my rules of road in Uk in the 80's

can i ask though, if i am good to go after the IBT - what is the purpose of the TEST ? - just to remove the L Plates ?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 2,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭macplaxton

How old is the UK licence? Groups or Categories on it?

https://www.gov.uk/old-driving-licence-categories

I would have thought a UK national category "p" (moped) would translate to a euro category "AM".

EU Cat B is cars. The old UK group B was for automatics only in group A.

macplaxton wrote: »
    How old is the UK licence? Groups or Categories on it?

I would have thought a UK national category "p" (moped) would translate to a euro category "AM".

EU Cat B is cars. The old UK group B was for automatics only in group A.

hiya,

only had B - but i used this clause to ride my scooter
    gov.uk/motorcycle-cbt/car-driving-licence

"You passed your driving test before 1 February 2001

You can ride a moped (up to 50cc) without L plates. You don’t need to take a CBT course or take the full moped test."

• Advertisement

I think you need to speak to the NDLS again.

If you had a full category B on your UK licence, then if you got it pre-2001, then you got automatically issued a UK category "p" which was a national equivalent to the Irish national category "M". Both UK "p" and Irish "M" have since 2013 become EU category AM.

What I want to know is why aren't they issuing you with a full AM? Surely they are exchangeable?

I passed my category B car test back in 1991. That is the start date of my AM. I exchange my UK licence for an Irish one in June 2017.

33563373728_f137d5f776_z.jpg
    Driving_Licence_IRL_Rear by macplaxton, on Flickr

(You'd think they'd get the start date of my A2 right)

Hi MacPlaxton,

I got my licence in 89, and it had no p on it, only B. I can only assume this is why i have no AM carried over,

Its no biggie, im off the road for a while ( weill im in the car but its not the same ) , and its the push i needed to get my arse on IBT.

Im going to go for the A,

meanwhile my baby is going to sit for a while.

image_10885.jpeg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭IrishGrimReaper

It's a bit of a nuisance for you and there's a fair few euro in costs to get going but fair play for kicking on and setting your mind on the A license.

Have you ever been on a larger CC bike before? When you are doing your IBT for the A license you'll be using a 600+cc bike.

You might get the need for speed and the wee scooter could be sitting up a lot longer :pac:

It's a bit of a nuisance for you and there's a fair few euro in costs to get going but fair play for kicking on and setting your mind on the A license.

Have you ever been on a larger CC bike before? When you are doing your IBT for the A license you'll be using a 600+cc bike.

You might get the need for speed and the wee scooter could be sitting up a lot longer :pac:

i have never ridden anything other than 50cc over the years, i'll be keeping the little scoot, getting A just opens the options, next move might only be to 150/200/300, and probably still vespa !

then again you never know

Ljmscooter wrote: »
    Hi MacPlaxton,

I got my licence in 89, and it had no p on it, only B. I can only assume this is why i have no AM carried over,

When was the last UK licence issued?

When you passed in 1989, you would have originally got groups

A, C, E (E being the moped bit which they gave until 2001?, when they made you do a CBT to activate it)

If you had a replacement issued after June 1990, it would have shown all the "new" EU/UK national categories on it equivalent to the above. For a car test pass, it would convert to

B (and in turn B1 trikes), BE, C1, C1E (107), D1 (101), f,k,l,n & p.

A re-issue after 2013 should of had:

AM, A (79.03 restricted to trikes), B, BE, C1, C1E (107), D1 (101), f,k,l,n,p,Q

An exchange to an Irish licence would should only lose the C1E and D1 (see RSA note)

I'd kick up about it. You shouldn't be losing certain grandfather rights to licence categories, when you exchange (you may find the 7.5 tonner and trailer entitlement handy at some point down the line). I wouldn't count on the NDLS always getting it right either. Mrs MacP passed her cat B test in France and got an full A1 when exchanging!

• Advertisement

So I got my Irish licence today and guess what, AM is there ! The licence guy was wrong , so I’m back on two wheels

However I am still set on doing training and getting my A so I’m going to anyway

I have my theory next week , then I can get my learner

Anyhow scooter was happy for a spin tonight 😀

• Registered Users Posts: 2,721 ✭✭✭oleras

I also got mine renewed a few weeks ago and came back with the AM, i had thought that it was a very limited category and a 50cc would be over the limit, have you no issue insuring a 50cc vespa? if so i may have a look at picking one up myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,920 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

AM is under 50cc AND limited to 45km/h.

Life ain't always empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭petronius

Question - if you have a full UK Car licence, with a CBT Cert. is it, can you ride a Moped in the Republic?

A 50ncc vespa is actually 49 cc

• Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Lovely colour that.

As above, Theory Test, Learner Permit, IBT, then you're on the road.

Oh, and, when the time comes: welcome to the (bigger) Vespa Club :)

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

Advertisement