Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

making a claim - is it worth it?

Options
  • 21-03-2019 9:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭

Hi, I'm looking at making a claim against my insurance and I'm wondering how it might affect future premiums.

Anybody claim recently? And did you get loaded for the next few years? How much? And for how.many years? Did it affect your car insurance?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

I've made a claim but had NCB roll back/ protection so still had a discount afterwards. I found that the haggling room for renewal was less flexible afterwards but my insurance didn't skyrocket. It depends on how much and what you're claiming for, consider the excess and if you could afford to resolve it without claiming. it would be helpful if you shared more information on your situation though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭ayux4rj6zql2ph

Cian_ok wrote: »
    Hi, I'm looking at making a claim against my insurance and I'm wondering how it might affect future premiums.

Anybody claim recently? And did you get loaded for the next few years? How much? And for how.many years? Did it affect your car insurance?

Thanks

Was that for the bike that was on Facebook? Did you get a quote on what it would be if you paid for it yourself?

It was mostly ignition damage????

Had a moped stolen on me once, i found it cheaper to pay for it out of my own pocket, i was still in my first year back then.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,031 ✭✭✭colm_c

You'll basically be paying it back with the increases in premium.

Personally unless it was over 1k, I wouldn't be claiming.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Cian_ok

Hi. The steering lock was forced- which has 'broken' the frame. So technically the frame needs to be replaced to make the bike 'new'. There are also scratches on the side, again needing replacement. Which means they probably won't pay to have it fixed.

So it's more a case of taking their valuation of the bike (less the excess) and going for a new bike.

Or is it possible to have my bike fixed more cheaply ( not to 'as new' standard, has scratches etc, but good enough) and to get cash in to my hand to cover the loss in value that the repairs didn't quite fix?

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Philipx

Be advised that it will impact on your car insurance also come renewal - you have to declare it.

As said already, under €1,000 just swallow it. All you're doing in effect is getting a loan from the insurance, they will get it back over time. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,964 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Hi. The steering lock was forced- which has 'broken' the frame. So technically the frame needs to be replaced to make the bike 'new'. There are also scratches on the side, again needing replacement. Which means they probably won't pay to have it fixed.

So it's more a case of taking their valuation of the bike (less the excess) and going for a new bike.

Or is it possible to have my bike fixed more cheaply ( not to 'as new' standard, has scratches etc, but good enough) and to get cash in to my hand to cover the loss in value that the repairs didn't quite fix?

The vehicle is defined by the VIN plate. So if you change the frame you have a new bike with your old engine.

Have you checked with your insurance if a theft claim will affect your NCD? A friend had a car stolen and after it was recovered the insurance paid for the damage and it didn't affect his NCD.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

The busted steering lock broke the frame?.

The busted steering lock broke the frame?.

The bolt sits into a hole in the frame. When they twisted the handlebars they gouged a channel in the frame to release the lock. So the frame is structurally fine - but there is a hole in it where the lock bolt can move freely. It could be fixed by welding - but that wouldn't be like new.

Talk to your mechanic and see what they think. Cotters were very helpful in giving advice when my bike was damaged after a spill.

The bolt sits into a hole in the frame. When they twisted the handlebars they gouged a channel in the frame to release the lock. So the frame is structurally fine - but there is a hole in it where the lock bolt can move freely. It could be fixed by welding - but that wouldn't be like new.

I know it must be a sickner to see this and understand you wanting to get everything right.

I can't imagine the hole you're talking about but would a rubber gromit not fill it?.

I'm just thinking if the frame is wrote off by an assessor they might consider the whole bike as beyond economic repair and scrap it.

• Advertisement

I'm just thinking if the frame is wrote off by an assessor they might consider the whole bike as beyond economic repair and scrap it.

Looks like you're right. It's deemed a write-off. Oh well. I'm looking for a new bike. :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 33,860 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Buy it off them have it repaired....

listermint wrote: »

It would need and engineer to certify that the frame was in good nick. It's a risk to buy, fix, and then not get the very.

It is possible that there is other damage.

listermint wrote: »

I've done it with a car but its a pain in the arse selling it again.

Looks like you're right. It's deemed a write-off. Oh well. I'm looking for a new bike. :-)

Sorry to hear that, little fuckers don't give a bollox when they rob our stuff.

I'm always 'fuck 'em when they're killed on a stolen bike.

Is it a cat D write off? Either way if it's a write off I'd take the cash and buy a different bike in this case. Tough to sell on with frame damage.

Advertisement