Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off Licence in a shop opening hrs on BH

Options
  • 19-03-2019 1:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭

Cannot find any information at all about this, but does anyone know from what time shops (not pubs or specific off licences) can sell alcohol today (day March 18th)

I assumed being a BH it would follow Sunday hours and therefore be 12.30pm. does anyone know?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,550 ✭✭✭bassy

gercoral wrote: »
    Cannot find any information at all about this, but does anyone know from what time shops (not pubs or specific off licences) can sell alcohol today (day March 18th)

I assumed being a BH it would follow Sunday hours and therefore be 12.30pm. does anyone know?

a box of bud was it ;)

10.30-10, it's 12.30 on Sundays and St. Patrick's Day.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,379 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

gercoral wrote: »
    the monday was not actually a public holiday, sunday was. Even if it was a public holiday it would be 10.30

Now most banks might have been closed but the drink laws usually deal with public holidays, not "bank holidays", many banks would be closed on 27th dec.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,575 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Sometimes the til systems get confused and treat it as 1230 even though legally it is 1030 e.g. public holidays have been keyed into the system as Sunday hours.

Good Friday I think should be 1030 but don't be surprised if shops wait until 1230.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 32,379 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

odyssey06 wrote: »
    Sometimes the til systems get confused and treat it as 1230 even though legally it is 1030
    yep, in bargain alerts I think there was bushmills being sold by aldi or lidl possibly before the legal hours on one day (I believe by genuine mistake, if it happened at all), and then they waited until 12.30 another day until selling it, when they could have legally sold at 10.30 but the law was not commonly known.

They can decide to wait it they want, just like pubs do not have to open whenever it says it is legal to do so. Some people seem to think opening/selling hours are obligatory, i.e. wrongly think shops/pubs HAVE to sell within those hours.

• Advertisement
Advertisement