Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Friend brushed me off

Options
  • 17-03-2019 8:00pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 17

I'm learning to drive at the moment. I have a friend who was meant to give me a driving lesson today. I got in touch with them in the morning and they said they will be around later. I have trust issues and I told them that they were only brushing me off with their later and they never had any intention of taking me for a lesson. It's now 7pm and it's getting too late and they probably won't come over now. Was I wrong to give out to my friend?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

100% over reaction. You were incredibly rude and needlessly aggressive. I'm not surprised your friend never showed up. It's fine to have issues but you should work on them. If you continue to project them onto your friends you'll end up with none.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭dhaughton99

A guaranteed way to lose a friend is by taking driving lessons from them. The best thing to do is go for some paid lessons to gain some confidence and maybe then you can get them to join you.

Remember that you will need someone to accompany you in the car these days until you pass your test so don’t go burning bridges over it.

I’m 45 and never had the courage to start driving so congrats on getting started.

Look at that! The most intelligent thing I’ve said all week.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭Loveinapril

Yes you were wrong. Your friend was doing you a favour and you were rude.

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭beechwood55

Yes you were wrong and rude.
    Have you made contact with your friend to apologise ?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,241 ✭✭✭✭endacl

I wouldn’t have showed up either after that call.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭redbel05

When your friend offers to do something for you as a favour, you should be thankful and trust them that they will do it.

If you believe that they did not offer their help wholeheartedly, or are not that bothered, then do you really want them to help at all? Its critical that you have someone who is both interested, and fully committed to helping you when you are learning to drive. You are going to need regular instruction, so do you really want the stress of wondering if your friend will be available/ show up for every lesson?

But really, if you want to keep your friend you should apologise for snapping earlier at the very least. Tell them that you appreciate their offer of help and understand if they have other commitments. Maybe even ask if there is anything you can do to help them in return?

• Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭beveragelady

Based on your posts here it seems you have a pattern of treating your friends very badly, constantly accusing them of mistreating you. You need to get help or you will be left either with no friends or worse, friends who will take advantage of your isolation and vulnerability.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

You do have trust issues don't you. Don't trust your friend to show up, don't trust your housemate not to steal your concert tickets. Seem to have huge trust in posters here to advise you though, even though you were resoundingly criticised the last time.

Damn I think I'm developing a trust issue of my own...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭poisonated

I think you should apologize.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭woodchuck

Locked pending mod review

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement