Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Water hardness in Artane

Options
  • 17-03-2019 11:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 35

Hi, can someone from Iriah water tell me the water hardness in Artane? I am trying to set the levels of an appliance and have no idea how hard water is in my area.
    Thank you.

Comments

• Company Representative Posts: 254 Verified rep Irish Water: Agata

Hi galycos,

Thanks for your message.

There is no specific limit for water hardness under the Irish Drinking Water Regulations.

Hardness is generally expressed as mg/l CaCO 3 units, although other units can be used. The following is one of several arbitrary classifications of waters by hardness:

Soft > 50mg/l CaCO3,

Moderately Soft 51–100 mg/l CaCO3

Slightly Hard 101–150 mg/l CaCO3

Moderately Hard 151–250 mg/l CaCO3

Hard 251–350 CaCO3

Excessively Hard over 350 mg/l CaCO3

Dishwashers generally have built-in water softeners. Householders should ensure these are set according to manufacturer’s instructions. In general, reducing the temperature of your hot water to 60 degrees Celsius or lower can decrease scale deposition.

I hope you find this information helpful. Please let us know if you have any further queries.

Thanks,
    Agata

• Registered Users Posts: 35 galycos

That is very interesting but how can I find out the mg/l CaCO3 values for Artane, which I understand is within DCC Zone 3 .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭Irish Water: Daniel V

Hi galycos,

Thank you for your message.
    galycos wrote: »
    That is very interesting but how can I find out the mg/l CaCO3 values for Artane, which I understand is within DCC Zone 3 .
    You can find information regarding the water quality in your area here www.water.ie/water-supply/water-quality/ by typing in your address into the search bar. This will give you the results of the tests and a list of what is tested. Irish Water does not test water hardness as it is not mandated by the HSE and is not harmful to your health. Please see here for more information www.water.ie/water-supply/water-quality/water-hardness/.

Thanks,
    Daniel

• Registered Users Posts: 21,437 ✭✭✭✭Alun

galycos wrote: »
    You can't, unlike in any other more advanced European country.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,437 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Householders should ensure these are set according to manufacturer’s instructions.
    ... and guess what the manufacturers say? Yes, set it according to the water hardness, which in any other country you can find out simply by calling them or looking on their website !!!!!

Whether it's harmful to your health or not is totally irrelevant. You're a service company, start off by providing a proper service!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭Irish Water: Daniel V

Hi Alun,

Thank you for your message and apologies for the inconvenience caused by this.
    Alun wrote: »
    Householders should ensure these are set according to manufacturer’s instructions.
    ... and guess what the manufacturers say? Yes, set it according to the water hardness, which in any other country you can find out simply by calling them or looking on their website !!!!!

Whether it's harmful to your health or not is totally irrelevant. You're a service company, start off by providing a proper service!
    You can find information regarding the water quality in your area by typing your address into the search bar on our website here www.water.ie/water-supply/water-quality/. If you are seeking further information please feel free to contact us and we'll endeavour to provide it. You can private message your name and contact number and we will log your feedback on requesting information regarding water hardness.

Thanks,
    Daniel

Advertisement