Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Question about sedated cat

Options
  • 15-03-2019 10:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,198 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I have a stray cat that I have been looking after for the past few months now. I feed him, and I have a little shelter with a cosy bed in it for him. He loves his shelter! He is friendly but will not come indoors, and can be a bit skittish sometimes. Anyways, the past few days I have noticed he was coughing and had watery eyes, and just looked terrible. I managed to get him in a cat carrier today and brought him to the vet, who said he has cat flu. He had to sedate him before injecting him with antibiotics, and he was out for the count for a couple of hours after that. I was keeping him in the kitchen until he was back on his feet, but I had to open the doors and windows because he p*ssed himself, and the smell was killing me. He got out before I would have liked him to get out: he was back on his feet but still a bit groggy. He took off before I could fetch him back in when he went out. Question: will he be okay? How long will it take a sedative to wear off? He wasn't in great condition before the vet, with the flu, and I'm worried about the little bugger now. Thanks.

Comments

Fair play to you, that’s really kind of you to take him to the vet!
    I’m sure he’ll be fine . They often look worse than they are after sedation as they stagger around like old drunks. Maybe he’ll go back to his little shelter and sleep it off ?

I’ve a very old cat who needs sedation now and again to get huge lumps of fur cut off , she always comes back to herself . Keep an eye out for him tonight and tomorrow as weather due to be bad .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,198 ✭✭✭artvanderlay

Thanks for replying. He didn't go to his shelter: it's right outside my glass doors in the kitchen, on the decking. He just legged it. Think he might have been a bit traumatised by it all! He's never been at a vet before /not neutered etc. If he survives this, I'm bringing him back in a couple of weeks to get neutered :pac: Poor guy, I hope he's alright. It's raining and cold tonight here, so I hope he gets in somewhere warm for the night.

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭StillThinking

Don't worry, I have a few strays around my house all of which I've managed to catch, neuter and release. Some of the males have still been groggy when I let them out. All of them seemed to huff for a couple of days then realise they were on to a good thing with the food and the scritches and they always come back no harm done.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

any sign of him today?
    Maybe put somnething nice and tasty outside his shelter?
    Well done for taking care of him :)

No sign yet :( It's very cold with sleet here too. I hope he is taking shelter somewhere. Poor guy!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

No sign yet :( It's very cold with sleet here too. I hope he is taking shelter somewhere. Poor guy!

I worry about my neighbours cat who was dreadfully skittish and would miaow at my door or stare longingly in from the windowsill in therain but then refuse to come in!over time (a few years) it now shamelessly demands to be let in & curls up on the stairs to wipe itself dry & hoover up the heat before waking the house at 0530 with its yowls to be let out. Turns out half the street is feeding it !! Hopefully your moggie has a second tier place to stay & is snoozed up somewhere where it is comfortable & recouperating quietly. Fair dues to you for all the trouble you have gone to. I'd +1 for leaving delicious treats at her out-house beaudoir and let her learn to trust it again.

He did show up yesterday morning after a couple of days m.i.a. I gave him a small amount of food with his pill in it. It looks like he ate it, but he didn't eat much food, and he didn't want to be around me too long. He looked slightly better, but still not himself. I haven't seen him since though.

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭StillThinking

He did show up yesterday morning after a couple of days m.i.a. I gave him a small amount of food with his pill in it. It looks like he ate it, but he didn't eat much food, and he didn't want to be around me too long. He looked slightly better, but still not himself. I haven't seen him since though.

That's great he's back, give him a bit of time to trust you again and it'll be all back to normal

He's back again today and looking much better. He's still wary of me and there is also another feral ginger tom that bullies him (i feed him too), so he doesn't hang around for long if he's near. I did manage to give him his meds, so hopefully he will continue to come back, even briefly, to get his daily meds.

He's back again today and looking much better. He's still wary of me and there is also another feral ginger tom that bullies him (i feed him too), so he doesn't hang around for long if he's near. I did manage to give him his meds, so hopefully he will continue to come back, even briefly, to get his daily meds.

That’s good news! Cats are so damn independent, they’ll always come back, but only when they’re ready to !
    Hope he stays well now.

• Advertisement
Advertisement