Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Isolated at work

Options
  • 15-03-2019 10:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10

I have been in my job for three years and to be honest I really don’t feel like my team like me or value me very much.

We went through a hard year last year where I almost left the company cause the team were being put under so much pressure. I am away from family so it really affected me. Some of my workload was moved to my teammates. I was just constantly under huge demands from clients and it was so unsustainable. I had the majority of top clients and will be taking our departments biggest client in the coming months.

I am a good team member and really competent. I’m really experienced given the level of work I managed up until January. My boss has been weak in the past where I’ve found myself managing him. I get mad sometimes because there are areas where I am way more competent than him but he doesn’t really see how good I am at the job. He is getting slightly better in terms of management skills though.

I am nice to my team mates, really friendly and kind but I feel as if I’m a nuisance to them. They are nice people but they just don’t seem that friendly or interested in me at all. When the work got moved there was a definite shift where I’m not included as much as I used to be in social things like tea or going out for coffee.

The work is hard enough as it is without feeling isolated. I know you don’t always find friends at work but Ive always felt different to them or that I don’t fit in and there attitude towards me isn’t great. it’s a real drain.

I’m not sure why I’m writing this, maybe for some support as I’m finding it difficult.

Comments

You couldn’t handle your clients and the workload got shifted onto them, now you’re about to take on the largest client? Sounds odd to me.

Maybe they don’t like you or don’t respect you because of the above, question your work ethic or have other genuine and legitimate cause to want to minimise how much they interact with you socially as a consequence.

They have every right to do so if they want. It’s up to you to turn that situation around unless it’s all in your imagination and you’re just struggling to see things for what they are.

Are you rested and in control of your work, or still under major pressure?

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Anonymouspink

JayZeus wrote: »
    You couldn’t handle your clients and the workload got shifted onto them, now you’re about to take on the largest client? Sounds odd to me.

Maybe they don’t like you or don’t respect you because of the above, question your work ethic or have other genuine and legitimate cause to want to minimise how much they interact with you socially as a consequence.

They have every right to do so if they want. It’s up to you to turn that situation around unless it’s all in your imagination and you’re just struggling to see things for what they are.

Are you rested and in control of your work, or still under major pressure?

Maybe it is my imagination.

It also could be a lack of respect which is disappointing for me. I put in a huge amount of effort in to the team and was the only one that spoke out to try get extra resources in a very tough situation. I guess the only way is to focus on my work I suppose

We are now getting extra staff. I managed the most challenging clients for a long period of time and just needed a break from the intensity of work. The break only ended up being for four weeks in the end as I’m being lined up for more work.

It’s just really disappointing and exhausting

• Registered Users Posts: 6,134 ✭✭✭screamer

You don’t know what office back biting may be going on. Your boss could have said something to the team, maybe not truthful, which made them
    turn on you......
    Could be that it’s just a busy office environment and I find the busier the place the less time their is given to niceties, or social breaks or chit chat. I work in a place where we are like robots, about 80 of us in an open plan office, and save for the click clack of keyboards, you could hear a pin drop. The culture is get in, get on, get gone.
    Someone wise once said to me, people aren’t against you, they’re just for themselves.
    If you want to reconnect with the team it might be worth going for tea with them and asking them what they think of the pace of work now, and see if you share a little of your concerns would they open up about it.....,

Advertisement