Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Private profiles - please note that profiles marked as private will soon be public. This will facilitate moderation so mods can view users' warning histories. All of your posts across the site will appear on your profile page (including PI, RI). Groups posts will remain private except to users who have access to the same Groups as you. Thread here
Some important site news, please read here. Thanks!

Southern Ireland one of richest areas in Europe..

Comments

  • Registered Users Posts: 2,623 ✭✭✭ Bards


    Galway disadvantaged.... Yeah right... Treat that report like a piece of trash


  • Registered Users Posts: 5,515 ✭✭✭ robtri


    Bards wrote: »
    Galway disadvantaged.... Yeah right... Treat that report like a piece of trash

    most of galway is.... city isnt but thats just a part of the county...

    well then should be easy to prove its trash... just cause u dont like what it says


  • Registered Users Posts: 2,623 ✭✭✭ Bards


    robtri wrote: »
    Bards wrote: »
    Galway disadvantaged.... Yeah right... Treat that report like a piece of trash

    most of galway is.... city isnt but thats just a part of the county...

    well then should be easy to prove its trash... just cause u dont like what it says
    Another case of lies, damn lies and statistics


  • Registered Users Posts: 5,515 ✭✭✭ robtri


    Bards wrote: »
    Another case of lies, damn lies and statistics

    show me then??
    show us ur facts then please


  • Registered Users Posts: 13,972 ✭✭✭✭ SteelyDanJalapeno


    Jays the dubs won't like this


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,623 ✭✭✭ Bards


    robtri wrote: »
    Bards wrote: »
    Another case of lies, damn lies and statistics

    show me then??
    show us ur facts then please
    Waterford meant to be richer than Galway.... Hmm let me think... No university, no 24 x 7 cardiac care... S. E unemployed blackspot..House prices higher in Galway than Waterford which is normally a good barometer of prosperitt


  • Registered Users Posts: 16,788 ✭✭✭✭ odyssey06


    Is this Leprechaun economics distorted by say Pfizer in Cork?
    https://www.thejournal.ie/readme/column-the-leprechauns-are-at-it-again-in-the-latest-gdp-figures-for-ireland-3280962-Mar2017/

    Irish Times really shouldn't be publishing articles on GDP and not mentioning GNP.


  • Registered Users Posts: 78,310 ✭✭✭✭ Victor


    GDP per capita is a measure of wealth generation, not wealth itself - a comparable difference is between the value of your wages this year and the value of all your assets to date.

    Importantly, it is not a measure of household or per capita incomes.


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40,086 ✭✭✭✭ Harry Palmr


    Amazing that anyone would read that as a positive story. For us it's unicorn data.


  • Registered Users Posts: 26,163 ✭✭✭✭ Wanderer78


    Victor wrote:
    GDP per capita is a measure of wealth generation, not wealth itself - a comparable difference is between the value of your wages this year and the value of all your assets to date.


    With wide scale wage suppression, rapidly rising asset prices, and overall increasing worker insecurity, are we truly becoming 'wealthier'?


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭ Deiseen


    Wanderer78 wrote: »
    With wide scale wage suppression, rapidly rising asset prices, and overall increasing worker insecurity, are we truly becoming 'wealthier'?

    yes


  • Registered Users Posts: 26,163 ✭✭✭✭ Wanderer78


    Deiseen wrote:
    yes


    But is that 'wealth' being redistributed fairly, and are we confusing some of this new found wealth with debt?


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭ Deiseen


    Wanderer78 wrote: »
    But is that 'wealth' being redistributed fairly, and are we confusing some of this new found wealth with debt?

    No it is not being distributed fairly but are we wealthier than we were 100 years ago when we had to crap in buckets and live in freezing damp houses where half our family would die young?

    Then yes, we are a hell of a lot wealthier.


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40,086 ✭✭✭✭ Harry Palmr


    crap in buckets and live in freezing damp houses where half our family would die young

    2SkeB.jpg


  • Registered Users Posts: 78,310 ✭✭✭✭ Victor


    In 2016, the Southeast Region had a GDP of €16,220 million for approximately 422,062 people or €38,430 per capita.


  • Registered Users Posts: 26,163 ✭✭✭✭ Wanderer78


    Deiseen wrote:
    Then yes, we are a hell of a lot wealthier.


    Agree, but what about the accumulation of debt that's occurring, and the negative aspects it's creating?


  • Registered Users Posts: 78,310 ✭✭✭✭ Victor


    Wanderer78 wrote: »
    Agree, but what about the accumulation of debt that's occurring, and the negative aspects it's creating?
    This has nothing to do with GDP.


Advertisement