Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dual fuel. Stove/oil with nest or hive. Posdible ?

Options
  • 13-03-2019 9:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭

Hi folks. I'm not sure if electrical or plumbing is the best place to post thing. In an effort to keep on top of my fuel bills etc I have zoned my house and fitted a systemlink dual fuel set up for my wood burning stove and condensing oil burner. Really happy with the overall fuel consumption.  The controller I have installed at the moment is a horstmann h37xl, this controls two heating zones and one HW.
    I purchased a systemlex wiring centre a couple of weeks ago to ensure that when my stove pump comes on that it also brings on a zone pump and locks out the boiler. The electrician who wired it all up 5 or 6 years ago made a balls of it and as it stands stove pump doesn't bring on a zone pump at the same time. Small amount of very hot water circulating is a bad idea.
    Anyway i was wondering if it is at all possible to use a hive nest or similar set up on a dual fuel system before I get the systemlex wired in. We both work shifts and have an 8 month old in the house. Want to be able to heat the house an hour before we get home. The conventional timer/controller isn't much use for our needs.
    So is it possible or am I asking for trouble combining dual fuel and nest/hive?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭PureBred

Hi folks. I'm not sure if electrical or plumbing is the best place to post thing. In an effort to keep on top of my fuel bills etc I have zoned my house and fitted a systemlink dual fuel set up for my wood burning stove and condensing oil burner. Really happy with the overall fuel consumption.  The controller I have installed at the moment is a horstmann h37xl, this controls two heating zones and one HW.
    I purchased a systemlex wiring centre a couple of weeks ago to ensure that when my stove pump comes on that it also brings on a zone pump and locks out the boiler. The electrician who wired it all up 5 or 6 years ago made a balls of it and as it stands stove pump doesn't bring on a zone pump at the same time. Small amount of very hot water circulating is a bad idea.
    Anyway i was wondering if it is at all possible to use a hive nest or similar set up on a dual fuel system before I get the systemlex wired in. We both work shifts and have an 8 month old in the house. Want to be able to heat the house an hour before we get home. The conventional timer/controller isn't much use for our needs.
    So is it possible or am I asking for trouble combining dual fuel and nest/hive?

Hi, curious on the systemlink you put it. Did you get it to work ok for you? I have the isue where sometimes my stove will 'back call' for heat and bring on the oil boiler.

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭chuck eastwood

PureBred wrote: »
    Hi, curious on the systemlink you put it. Did you get it to work ok for you? I have the isue where sometimes my stove will 'back call' for heat and bring on the oil boiler.

Due to my very (un) reliable electrician I am still waiting on mine to be wired in but when I rang up the sales/support department about 6 months ago they assured me that when I had my stove lighting and the pipe stat temp was hit, the systemlex would bring in one zone pump to use the hot water.
    This should not in any one fore the external boiler as the whole point of it is that you can use your stove to independently heat your home.
    If I was you i would give them a ring just to confirm as it was some time ago I spoke to them. Can I ask if your sparks followed the download drawing for wiring or did he do it off the top of hid head. I certainly don't want my boiler coming on to back up my stove unless I call for it myself

Advertisement