Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windbreak

Options
  • 13-03-2019 9:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 633 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I live on a very exposed site with a strong wind from the west. I want to do something on the boundary to help. It's about 80meters long.

I'm not keen on just planting a straightforward hedge, I'd like something a little bit different.

Do trees planted with gaps between them (5ft??) work? It seems to be suggested on the RHS site. Just wondering if anyone has any experience and what they used in planting. Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

Any salt spray in the wind? ie are you more than 4 miles inland?

What depth do you have to plant a wind break. Ideally you want to be at least 3 trees deep meaning a 22 foot depth (iirc) for a full shelter belt.

You can also fill the gap at ground level with a straightforward hedge.

I can remember the 87 storm in the UK which hit RHS Wisley really badly. Amougst other things it took out one of their shelter belts of Maritime Pine, Pinus Radiata, however its one tree I'd recommend for the job if you have room for it.

Space is the problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,644 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

Fuchsia makes an effective windbreak. You can then plant small trees in the shelter of the fuchsia. Works well on the west coast.

Trees as such are not a hedge or a windbreak, and those cypress types soon become leggy at the base.

A mixed bank of hardy shrubs can work well - roses, escallonia, fuchsia, holly, and some ornamental flowering types. NOT to be clipped but to be rounded and loose, just not allowed to get too high!
    Variety is good for birds and bio-diversity too.

That is, if you don't get freezing cold winters like in the north midlands.

As you can see, a lot depends on your local conditions and micro-climate.

Advertisement