Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Removing chimney breast from bathroom

Options
  • 13-03-2019 8:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 761 ✭✭✭

All,

Victorian terrace house in Dublin. Was a three bed but the bedroom originally at the back was turned into a bathroom (at least that's what I think). Bathroom is now on top of the kitchen, which as mentioned, is a return at the back of the house. I'm getting bathroom renovated and there is nothing special about the fireplace or chimney so I'd like to get rid to make a bigger bathroom.

What are my concerns here? Do I need planning/engineering sign off or can this be done as a standard job by a good builder. The top of the bathroom is the roof, no other room above, no attic on top of it.

q3gPXwO.jpg

kLkqxkk.jpg?1

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭jmBuildExt

I cant see your pics. (if thats whats attached at bottom of your post - could be just me though)
    Are you looking to remove it from top to bottom? Is it on any of the walls shared with the neighbour?
    I did same but was on 70s built semi-D and chimney was in the middle of the house.
    I had an engineer anyway for other work, so he looked at it. There was nothing required in terms of structural steel to replace it, it wasn't carrying any load.
    For piece of mind and future sale, I'd get one to look at it (especialy if you only plan on removing a section of it).
    Re planning, I understand its a bit of a grey area as mine could be seen from the front. I submitted a section 5 declaration request to the council (SDCC) and was told I didn't need planning.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

To remove the chimney you need to support the remainder of the chimney above it.
    You will also need to close off the chimney below and remove any possible access that may risk someone in the future attempting to use the fire place below.

Significant structural elements to be inserted. I suspect the work to make this happen will be twice the cost of the bathroom renovation itself.

P.S. I can see you pics fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 761 ✭✭✭wannabecraig

jmBuildExt wrote: »
    I cant see your pics. (if thats whats attached at bottom of your post - could be just me though)
    Are you looking to remove it from top to bottom? Is it on any of the walls shared with the neighbour?
    I did same but was on 70s built semi-D and chimney was in the middle of the house.
    I had an engineer anyway for other work, so he looked at it. There was nothing required in terms of structural steel to replace it, it wasn't carrying any load.
    For piece of mind and future sale, I'd get one to look at it (especialy if you only plan on removing a section of it).
    Re planning, I understand its a bit of a grey area as mine could be seen from the front. I submitted a section 5 declaration request to the council (SDCC) and was told I didn't need planning.

This is great info. Yes it does share a wall with neighbour. When I had a builder out first, he said it was a simple job, I had another guy out who said I'd need an engineer.
    I don't believe it's carrying a load but again, I don't know for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭Doop

No, it's not on that list of protected structures.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,195 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

That is a big job, whatever way you do it.
    There have been posts here where folk have supported the remaining piece of the chimney above the ceiling on a few fancy angle brackets: I forgot what they are called.
    I know i wouldn't sleep easy in the street with that way of supporting the remaining piece
    For my money I would leave it as is, as KC says it will be a large expense when put alongside the refurb

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

This is great info. Yes it does share a wall with neighbour. When I had a builder out first, he said it was a simple job, I had another guy out who said I'd need an engineer.
    I don't believe it's carrying a load but again, I don't know for sure.

For clarification: Mine was removed top to bottom. (i.e. stack removed from the roof line)
    I wouldn't take anything from the fact that
    1. Mine didn't carry any load.
    2. I didnt need planning.

2 totally different buildings.

If you are looking to remove it internally (just remove that section in the bathroom) - you definitely don't need planning.
    But I would say you definitely do need an engineer. I would want somebody standing over the work, telling the builder what to do, rather than him deciding himself.
    Its further complicated by the fact that its shared with your neighbour. If anything goes wrong on their side, you'll be the first port of call.

Seems risky and expensive to me for the overall benefit.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

I would actually keep it and put in a fancy stove - maybe one of the insert landscape stoves, make a feature out of it.

Having a bath with a stove going seems like the ultimate luxury .

Thanks for all the replies. Ideally I'd love it removed as I'd have the space I wanted then.
    No interest in a bath with a fire, the bath isn't really a high priority right now, but I may want one in the future
    and so I just want to make sure the space is there.

Any idea of the cost of an engineer to come out and have a look at it anyway, just for advice?

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭dusteeroads

Compromise solution - raise the head of the fireplace opening withing the breast up to 2m above floor level and install open glass shelving there. Minor structural alteration whilst retaining an interesting architectural feature and gaining more space.

• Advertisement

@dusteeroads.

Not 100% sure I can visualize what you mean, any examples?

Unless you mean, dig the fireplace out, cut up tot he top and put in shelving?

If so, I don't gain floor-space that way, which I need/want.

This is the kind of thing I'm looking for. Any ideas if a builder would do this?

A-Guide-to-Gallows-Brackets-1024x679.png

Thats the system calahonda mentioned above....
    Either way id get an engineer to design it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,195 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

Thats the system calahonda mentioned above....
    Either way id get an engineer to design it.
    Builder will do it okay, the issue is getting engineering sign off for it.
    I would not put my PI on the line for such a project in a Vic building on a shared wall.

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

ok, thanks. I'll engage an engineer to have a look and get a recommendation on what I can and can't do.

Hi. Sorry to resurrect an old thread. I have a similar house (1970s semi with chimney in the middle of the house, not on the shared wall) and I’m curious how much it cost to remove the chimney breast. Thanks

Advertisement