Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ways to boost signal / speed.

Options
  • 12-03-2019 11:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 44

hi All.

I just got vodafone gigabit fiber to the home installed today,
    It is 150 mbps package.Router is located in back bedroom of my house which is a three bed bungalow.
    It is located here as this is where technician said it had to go.I have done wireless speed test getting around 90mbps in two back rooms to half way up hall in kitchen and living room around 15mbps.
    15 is good but when i have 150mbps id like to have closer to that. I also have devices which require Ethernet connection.
    What is best way to boost/extend ,signal/speed around house and give me a ethernet connection. I have old router could i set this up some way to boost and use as access point. I have basic but little knowledge I have watched some youtube videos.so that is where I get my basic understanding from.any advice appreciated thanks.Pablo

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

To use the other router as an access point you are most likely going to have to connect it by cable to the main router. If you can run an Ethernet cable from a LAN port on the main router to the location of the access point it should work as you want.

If you can't run the Ethernet cable there are devices available to enable data to be carried over the electrical wiring in your home. Depending on how your house is wired these may work well, less well or not at all. I haven't used them myself so I can't advise on what type to purchase. Hopefully some other poster that has them can help you with that if you choose to go with this option.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 pablo don

To use the other router as an access point you are most likely going to have to connect it by cable to the main router. If you can run an Ethernet cable from a LAN port on the main router to the location of the access point it should work as you want.

If you can't run the Ethernet cable there are devices available to enable data to be carried over the electrical wiring in your home. Depending on how your house is wired these may work well, less well or not at all. I haven't used them myself so I can't advise on what type to purchase. Hopefully some other poster that has them can help you with that if you choose to go with this option.

Thanks for reply,have you ever done this with another router? I know it will give me required ports for Ethernet,but would it boost signal for WiFi?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

If it's possible to run an ethernet cable to another location in the house that will not only be the best solution but also the cheapest.
    Once you can run the cable then all you have to do is disable DHCP server on the second router to stop it routing and have it act as an access point. anything plugged into this access point will get full speed and it can also broadcast a wifi signal for the other side of your house.

Then there are 2 main options if you can't run a ethernet cable from the main router.

The home plugs that broadcast over your electrical wiring can be a option but are really hit or miss.
    You could plug one in from the Router and then again in another room where you use the second router as an access point to provide wifi and ethernet in that room.
    I had 4 plugged in at my house at one stage, one connected to the router and 3 to different devices and the speeds were 110 mb, 35 mb and 10 mb. And I've even tried them in other houses where they don't work at all.
    The good thing is they are cheap to buy on amazon and you can return them if you are unhappy. Just keep on to the boxes and pack them up exactly like how you got them.

Wifi mess networks are a good option and I've heard good feedback from them but are expensive, you will need more of them the larger your house is or the thicker the walls but I think 3 is the standard number. They repeat the signal so it covers the whole house.
    Some will have ethernet ports for plugging devices in to while others do not so that is something you will need to check.
    Since I've never set one up myself you will need to read up on this as I can't give any advice on which system to get.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

pablo don wrote: »
    Thanks for reply,have you ever done this with another router? I know it will give me required ports for Ethernet,but would it boost signal for WiFi?

I have. It does improve WiFi coverage.

Advertisement