Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Watch repair cost.

Options
  • 12-03-2019 9:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭

What hourly rate do watchmskers charge for repairs? If i ge my car repaired I get told the hourly rate first.

I have a 17 year old Seiko divers kinetic.
    If i sourced a new movement, o-rings etc how long would it tske and what labour cost?

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,074 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

They don't work like that O. Usually watchmakers break down prices according to complications, which naturally increase the work and risk of breakage involved. So for example rates might be: Mechanical hand wound time and date only - price level 1. Mechanical automatic time and date only - price level 2. Mechanical hand wound chronograph - price level 3 and so on. As you know yourself the Seiko Kenetic is roughly speaking an automatic quartz, so may be more a movement swap rather than repair. This is a lot less fiddly than breaking down and cleaning a mechanical movement. If you find a new movement I can't see it being an expensive repair.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭Oxter

Wibbs wrote: »
    They don't work like that O. Usually watchmakers break down prices according to complications, which naturally increase the work and risk of breakage involved. So for example rates might be: Mechanical hand wound time and date only - price level 1. Mechanical automatic time and date only - price level 2. Mechanical hand wound chronograph - price level 3 and so on. As you know yourself the Seiko Kenetic is roughly speaking an automatic quartz, so may be more a movement swap rather than repair. This is a lot less fiddly than breaking down and cleaning a mechanical movement. If you find a new movement I can't see it being an expensive repair.

The cost of a rebuild (250-300) is not viable - the watch is €290 new from Creation. A new movement is the only way.

A Vostok website lists movments for sale on their site. If only Seiko eould do the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 johnphillips

I had a similarly aged Seiko kinetic serviced in the UK through Weirs at the end of last year. It cost me €170. It had stopped working so needed some work on the battery or a new one entirely. Not as complicated as a dive watch but it has a date complication.

Advertisement