Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New to Cork, looking for soccer team

Options
  • 12-03-2019 12:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Hi all, I'm moving from Italy to Cork in september, and i was wondering if there could be any amateur soccer team i could join in Cork area.

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

If youre working for one of the larger multinational companies then they will likely have their own team.

Where are you planning on moving to in Cork?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,661 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

There's loads of leagues and loads of standards. Without knowing how good you are or where you're likely to be living, it's hard to advise. Be aware though - most teams start pre-season training in late July so it might be more difficult to join after that.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Mai1Gioia

Hogzy wrote: »
    If youre working for one of the larger multinational companies then they will likely have their own team.

Where are you planning on moving to in Cork?

Perhaps i need to practice my english before looking for a multinational to join :P but that sounds cool!
    Actually I don't know where exactly I'm moving because I'm still looking for a house to rent from september to february. Any suggestion on which area is better to live in?
    There's loads of leagues and loads of standards. Without knowing how good you are or where you're likely to be living, it's hard to advise. Be aware though - most teams start pre-season training in late July so it might be more difficult to join after that.

I know it won't be easy to be accepted once pre-season is started, but I'm only looking for a club to train with. I'll have enough time to show how good I am (if I am), and why not, start playing matches with the team too.
    I use to play in an amateur club here in Italy, but it's hard to say how good i am, considering there's no "international soccer standard chart" available to check :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭CHealy

Mai1Gioia wrote: »
    Hi all, I'm moving from Italy to Cork in september, and i was wondering if there could be any amateur soccer team i could join in Cork area.

Thanks in advance!

What area of Cork will you be living in?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

Perhaps i need to practice my english before looking for a multinational to join :P but that sounds cool!
    Actually I don't know where exactly I'm moving because I'm still looking for a house to rent from september to february. Any suggestion on which area is better to live in?

I know it won't be easy to be accepted once pre-season is started, but I'm only looking for a club to train with. I'll have enough time to show how good I am (if I am), and why not, start playing matches with the team too.
    I use to play in an amateur club here in Italy, but it's hard to say how good i am, considering there's no "international soccer standard chart" available to check :P

Theres an Irish standard chart:

Is your first reaction to getting hacked from behind to roll around on the ground dramatically, gesticulating that the referee should hand out a card, or try and punch the offender in the face?

Do your socks match or not?

Can you spray the ball around the pitch as sweetly with both feet, or do you toepoke ball and a clump of dirt each pass?

Would you have pasta and a probiotic before a match, or be usually too hungover to even think about food?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8 Mai1Gioia

CHealy wrote: »
    What area of Cork will you be living in?

I don't know yet, I'm still looking for a house to rent for september. I'm gonna start searching in a couple weeks.
    Any suggestion on which area could be cheaper and/or safer to live in?
    Theres an Irish standard chart:

Is your first reaction to getting hacked from behind to roll around on the ground dramatically, gesticulating that the referee should hand out a card, or try and punch the offender in the face?

Do your socks match or not?

Can you spray the ball around the pitch as sweetly with both feet, or do you toepoke ball and a clump of dirt each pass?

Would you have pasta and a probiotic before a match, or be usually too hungover to even think about food?

That's what i was looking for! So let me answer them!

I'm often hacked from behind actually, cause I'm more a technical than physical player. But this doesn't mean I won't have my revenge!
    My socks match, but their color is terrifying.
    I can use both my feet to be honest, but it could happen that i kick a piece of dirt together with the ball :')
    Aww, am I allowed to eat before a match too? :D

Let me know my positioning in the Irish standard chart!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭CHealy

I don't know yet, I'm still looking for a house to rent for september. I'm gonna start searching in a couple weeks.

Where are you working? Cork is a small city but saying that if you are working in Hollyhill and live in Mahon it'd be an awful trek crossing the city.

Theres loads and loads of teams around Cork you could join. Theres the Munster (Cork) Senior league which has three senior divisions and three Junior divisions, senior being at a pretty high level and junior being that bit behind it, but still really decent. Theres the AUL leagues which have a load of leagues aswell, but if you are coming to work in one of the big companys, they will more than likely have a team in the Business Leagues (you'll hear it referred to as Shipping League) and you could play there. No shortage for you anyway, theres about a million teams in Cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,661 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

The players I know that played Munster Senior League would have had trials with the lower end English Premiership clubs when they were younger. In my experience they are no better than the majority of the AUL Premiership players that I know. That said, there's a few that were in the team that won the Premiership a few years back that I know that are not up to that standard! :D

@OP - Who you should join and where you live depends on where you're working. If you were working in Little Island for example, you might be better off living outside the city. Also if you're working on the southside there's no point in living on the northside and vice versa.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

That's what i was looking for! So let me answer them!

I'm often hacked from behind actually, cause I'm more a technical than physical player. But this doesn't mean I won't have my revenge!
    My socks match, but their color is terrifying.
    I can use both my feet to be honest, but it could happen that i kick a piece of dirt together with the ball :')
    Aww, am I allowed to eat before a match too? :D

Let me know my positioning in the Irish standard chart!

Cork City I reckon.
    Shipping League might be a bit advanced

Advertisement