Advertisement
If you have a new account but can't post, please email Niamh on [email protected] for help to verify your email address. Thanks :)
New AMA with a US police officer (he's back!). You can ask your questions here

Thunder in weather forecasts

  • 11-03-2019 8:14pm
    #1
    Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭ quodec


    Siobhan Ryan just mentioned in the 6.1 news forecast that there was 'the risk of hail and thunder.' Why would thunder be regarded as a risk, meteorlogically speaking? I've been puzzling over the inclusion of 'thunder' in forecasts this past while. Is it the risk of lightning as part of thunder that they mean?


Comments

  • Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭ pad199207


    quodec wrote: »
    Siobhan Ryan just mentioned in the 6.1 news forecast that there was 'the risk of hail and thunder.' Why would thunder be regarded as a risk, meteorlogically speaking? I've been puzzling over the inclusion of 'thunder' in forecasts this past while. Is it the risk of lightning as part of thunder that they mean?

    No like it means there’s a chance of thunder?


  • Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭ quodec


    Thanks Pad, but it just seems strange that a few rumbles in the clouds would be included in an official forecast. Its not going to directly affect us, unlike rain, wind etc.


  • Registered Users Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭ ZX7R


    quodec wrote: »
    Thanks Pad, but it just seems strange that a few rumbles in the clouds would be included in an official forecast. Its not going to directly affect us, unlike rain, wind etc.

    Can effect animals and life stock,big clap of thunder can cause animals to stamped ,casusing damage to them or people


  • Registered Users Posts: 5,454 ✭✭✭ Storm 10


    ZX7R wrote: »
    Can effect animals and life stock,big clap of thunder can cause animals to stamped ,casusing damage to them or people

    Also knocks out power, phones, lightning can cause a lot of damage ,Look at Galway and the County last weekend thousands of homes with no power and a big pumping station for parts of the City and County was hit and damaged so no water.


  • Registered Users Posts: 5,358 ✭✭✭ highdef


    As pad199207 said, in the forecast you heard, the word "risk" meant a chance or possibility of thunder occurring. The forecast did not imply that the thunder itself was a risk, merely that there was a possibility (ie: risk) of thunderstorms.


  • Advertisement
Advertisement