Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fit iron grips

Options
  • 11-03-2019 7:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭

Hi, looking for a pro or golf shop that would fit new grips onto my irons. I have the grips already bought so just looking to be fitted, any ideas of what price I’d be looking per iron ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

avud wrote: »
    Hi, looking for a pro or golf shop that would fit new grips onto my irons. I have the grips already bought so just looking to be fitted, any ideas of what price I’d be looking per iron ?
    They're an easy job to do yourself. You need tape, solvent (petrol or white spirits will do - although there are other, less smelly ones) and a sharp knife to cut the old grips off (you only need to cut an inch or so at the bottom and they'll tear right off). A vice is handy, but not essential.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭avud

prawnsambo wrote: »
    They're an easy job to do yourself. You need tape, solvent (petrol or white spirits will do - although there are other, less smelly ones) and a sharp knife to cut the old grips off (you only need to cut an inch or so at the bottom and they'll tear right off). A vice is handy, but not essential.

Thanks for that, I’d be unsure if I’d be up to having the alignment markings on the grip in the correct line . Will check on YouTube

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,698 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

It really is quite easy, regarding alignment I just put a piece of masking tape on the iron below the existing grip and mark where the existing mid line is on the end of the grip (there's a small line on them all, you've probably never noticed) and then mark with a pen on the tape an extension of said mid point, line up the new grip to this mark then I'm done...

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

slave1 wrote: »
    It really is quite easy, regarding alignment I just put a piece of masking tape on the iron below the existing grip and mark where the existing mid line is on the end of the grip (there's a small line on them all, you've probably never noticed) and then mark with a pen on the tape an extension of said mid point, line up the new grip to this mark then I'm done...

Thanks for the tips, appreciated

• Registered Users Posts: 5,410 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

Alignment isn’t even that important. When I grip the club I always look at the club head never at the grip. It looks tidier I suppose.

• Advertisement

Alignment isn’t even that important. When I grip the club I always look at the club head never at the grip. It looks tidier I suppose.

Cheers, you mean say have the club in a vice with the face facing upwards and by eye align the grip to suit ?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

avud wrote: »
    Cheers, you mean say have the club in a vice with the face facing upwards and by eye align the grip to suit ?
    If you're using a vice, get one of those rubber thingummies that will hold the shaft without scratching or crushing it. Can be found easily on eBay, often in a kit with a roll of tape and solvent. I got one for about £15 which included a 50m roll of tape and a small bottle of solvent which seems to go a long way.

With the solvent, you get a fair bit of movement on the grip until it is dried out, so you should be able to align it easily enough. Calamari's tip for alignment is a good one because any mark you put on the shaft is likely to be wiped off by the solvent. 50mm tape is the right width required.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,410 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

Use white spirit as solvent and once the grip is on the shaft it can be twisted/adjusted quite easily for a few minutes. I have re gripped my clubs a couple of times and while I have a vice I didn't bother with it, its really that easy.

I would always remove all the old tape cleanly. Just one extra layer of tape already makes a difference in how thick the grip feels. Sometimes that's intended.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭RoadRunner

As said already. A vice is not needed for this job.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,698 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Aliexpress for all your grip needs

Tape

Blade (not necessary, but at this price....)

Clamp

or all three in one purchase...

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭Euphoriasean

Yep got these and they do the job fine. Would be a bit easier with a bigger vice but as others have said you don't even need one. They are a good and cheap investment.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,034 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

I've started putting the brand name and alignment marks to the back of the shaft as i don't use them but if they are a little off it can be distracting

Advertisement