Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Working with public struggling to put on happy face

Options
  • 11-03-2019 7:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hi

I am hoping to leave my job as soon as I can, however I need a decent reference so have to play ball and hang in there until I get another job.

The job involves dealing with public (high end luxury venue) and if you are not super friendly, smiley, chatty at all times etc. the customers are expecting this and nothing less and it will lead to bad online reviews etc, you can be identified online in bad reviews and I find this very pressurizing.

I am feeling very anxious, suffering insomnia, very low mood the last while (I am getting therapy which helps) but the thing is, having to put on this facade daily is draining my energy and I am finding it increasingly difficult as I am also naturally an introvert, this bout of anxiety and depression is making it much more difficult than normal.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

they dont call it work for nothing. its often difficult and unpleasant, most people dont do a job they love. Hang in there for your reference.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,695 ✭✭✭December2012

Work energy can be exhausting. I know I feel similar.

Keep.up your therapy, make sure youre getting enough sleep and water, take care of your nutrition. Get rest and have some decompression time.

You have an end date, so think of it that way

they dont call it work for nothing. its often difficult and unpleasant, most people dont do a job they love. Hang in there for your reference.

I ended up taking a year off teaching because of the same thing as OP. It was exhausting trying to pretend not to be feeling really down, and to be in front of people. I was crying out for my old desk job where I could hide and work.

Basically, your comment isn't helpful since acting like you're in great form is different to just being at work.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

I also find it tough OP to maintain patience, or at least appear to, when at work. But it's my job, it's what I'm paid to do. If I don't do it, then I'm not going my job, or a good job.

I think you're doing the right thing looking for another job, but you do realise that there are very few jobs that don't entail some sort of customer service and interaction?

I agree with the above posts, hang in there for a valuable reference, and focus on external preoccupations, the reasons why you need to get paid.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Anonymouspink

I totally get you, it exhausting. I have felt the same way in the past.

Like other posters say look after yourself as best you can, go to your gp. Don’t be afraid phone Samaritan’s at the end of a hard day just to offload.

Beyond that, it’s about finding something to motivate you at work in the meantime. Maybe asking to undertake less customer facing duties? You could frame it as wanting to experience difference parts of the business. They do that it a lot of hotels to increase motivation amongst staff.

I also find having a friend at work helps so trying to find people you like or that are nice to check in with during the day.

Basically, right now just find things that give you energy during the day until you get a new job.

It seems tough now but it’s most likely a bad patch and you’ll get through it and find something better

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭KikiLaRue

You only need to do enough to not get bad reviews... do you really need to be super friendly and chatty or do you just need to be polite? It sounds like you might be putting too much pressure on yourself. You're leaving anyway, all you want is the reference. As long as you're not openly rude to anyone, I can't see you getting bad reviews.

Advertisement