Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Alternative to Virgin/Sky

Options
  • 11-03-2019 1:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭

Hi, i'm not all that tech savy when it comes to TV, but we have a TV/internet package with Virgin media. I'd like to cut out the TV part and shop around for cheaper internet as the bundle we're on is around seventy euro a month.

We don't have a satellite dish as it's cable. Probably a stupid question, but would a free to air box work if i plugged it into the cable box? It's the old UPC type.

We don't watch a huge amount of TV, just basically want the Irish Channels and the free to air BBC/C4 ones? Wouldn't mind being able to record things at the same time either.

Can someone please advise on what we should be looking for? A free to air box?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,999 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Hi, i'm not all that tech savy when it comes to TV, but we have a TV/internet package with Virgin media. I'd like to cut out the TV part and shop around for cheaper internet as the bundle we're on is around seventy euro a month.

We don't have a satellite dish as it's cable. Probably a stupid question, but would a free to air box work if i plugged it into the cable box? It's the old UPC type.

We don't watch a huge amount of TV, just basically want the Irish Channels and the free to air BBC/C4 ones? Wouldn't mind being able to record things at the same time either.

Can someone please advise on what we should be looking for? A free to air box?

You need to erect a satellite dish and terrestrial aerial and install a set top box with the required type and number of tuners, to receive those channels FTA.

You will not get them via existing cable, FTA.

Have a read though the Satellite and Terrestrial forums for lots of information.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Ray Bloody Purchase

Cheers Johnboy.

Advertisement