Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best deer calibre

Options
  • 10-03-2019 12:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭

Hello
    What's the best deer calibre for someone starting out, 243, 308 6.5? Other?
    The rifle will be used for foxes also when the 17hmr won't suffice. What i mean by "best" is a rifle that will do what it needs to do when it comes to deer but also for foxes. "Best" could also mean most cost effective, least recoil, ammo availability, flat shooting etc.
    Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,865 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

.308 in my novice opinion.

It'll drop deer like a sack of spuds and the bullets are widely available and about 1.50 a pop.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭Zxthinger

For someone starting out!
    243 wont be beat.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭tac foley

Recoil is a subjective thing that you either get used to or don't - in which case fishing might be a better sporting option. The definitive low-recoiler in the deer-hunting stakes though, just has to be the 6.5x55 Swedish, with a good range of bullet weights from 120gr right up to 160gr if you ever encounter a moose in your travels. My moose/elg, back in 1990, was dropped at a very short range of around 80m with the 140gr Norma something or other. It died in its hoofprints, right there. The rifle I used was an as-issued Swedish Army m/38 short rifle with open sights.

On the other hand .243 is hard to beat - a flat shooting deer calibre that will be devastating on foxes way out there. I'm not saying that the .308Win with lighter bullets won't do it equally well, mind, just that the .308Win is still a bit of a recoiler in a lighter rifle.

Note though, and i'm sure others here will comment, the .243 and its fellow, the .270 are horrendously noisy, and a moderator will be a must-have accessory.

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭Kran

tac foley wrote: »
    Recoil is a subjective thing that you either get used to or don't - in which case fishing might be a better sporting option. The definitive low-recoiler in the deer-hunting stakes though, just has to be the 6.5x55 Swedish, with a good range of bullet weights from 120gr right up to 160gr if you ever encounter a moose in your travels. My moose/elg, back in 1990, was dropped at a very short range of around 80m with the 140gr Norma something or other. It died in its hoofprints, right there. The rifle I used was an as-issued Swedish Army m/38 short rifle with open sights.

On the other hand .243 is hard to beat - a flat shooting deer calibre that will be devastating on foxes way out there. I'm not saying that the .308Win with lighter bullets won't do it equally well, mind, just that the .308Win is still a bit of a recoiler in a lighter rifle.

Note though, and i'm sure others here will comment, the .243 and its fellow, the .270 are horrendously noisy, and a moderator will be a must-have accessory.
    Is a 308 with a moderator quieter than a .243 with a moderator?

Dunno, as I don't have any kind of a moderator - they look silly on a 1898 Swedish Mauser....and I've got nothing newer than a 1986 Krico 640S that could even begin to take a mod anyhow.

From an objective POV there doesn't seem to be any detectable difference, as a lot of fellow shooters in my club have them. However, since I'm not only 75% deaf, but also wearing two sets of ear defenders, I'm probably not the best person to ask about this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭cookimonster

If your going foxing, then stick a moderator on it, if your going to get a moderator than the world's your oyster....
    ....and the 308 / 270 moderated are pussys,.....

Some will say that either may be a bit excessive for foxing, others will tell you dead is dead. I would have said before that a 30 cal or 270 is a bit over the top but the amount of foxing I do didn't warrant me hanging onto the .243 as deer is go to thing. Realistic and safe lamping distances will still be do 'able with a 308 and more so with the 270.

The advantage of the bigger calibres come with varying terrain and weather conditions that you may be shooting. The 243 will perform on any deer species here and in most conditions be it wood, farmland or hillside. But the other two will do it better.

The 308 has the edge on the .270 over ammo choice but the 270 throwing 130gr soft point is hard to beat and once you match your round your good to go.

The outside advantage, future planning, is that both calibres will allow you to hunt abroad in Europe and Africa if the opportunity arises.

The .243 served me well for years, taking fox and all three species of deer here from woods to hills and I would not hesitate to recommend one if that's your desire....

...but....

...knowing what I know now and the opportunities I've had, I'd pick a bigger calibre to cover all bases.
    As we say 'better to have and not need it then to need it and not have it'

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭HW100S

Thanks for all the replies. I was leaning toward a 243 before i posted but now the 308 seems more interesting. I doubt i will ever get the opportunity to hunt bigger game outside of the country, if i do I'd imagine using a supplied rifle.
    Will have to give it more thought.
    All i know for sure is that ill be up and running for the next deer season (fingers crossed)

Good luck with all that!! Let us know what you end up with, eh?

You also have a higher chance keeping your 243 for foxing than any of the other calibres if you ever quit deer shooting. .

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭Alucan

Its hard to beat the 25.06 as an all rounder. It will comfortably drop any deer in this country and its good for long range foxes. I changed from a 308 and a .220 swift to the 25.06 . A guy i shoot with has a .270 but the 25.06 is by far my favourite caliber. The ammo is a little more expensive but don't get bogged down by the price of ammo. You don't tend to waste as many bullets with the bigger calibers a box goes a long way

• Advertisement

the bullets are widely available and about 1.50 a pop.

Are these target or hunting rounds @€;1.5ea? I was expecting to pay between €2 & €2.50 per round just based on shop pricing.

tac foley wrote: »
    Good luck with all that!! Let us know what you end up with, eh?
    Well i made a few calls this evening to some club members and have lined up a few shots out of a 243 and a 308 during the next week or so to see what they are like, this should help with the decision.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,544 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

25.06 is your only man.
    Accept no substitute :)

HW100S wrote: »
    Are these target or hunting rounds @€;1.5ea? I was expecting to pay between €2 & €2.50 per round just based on shop pricing.

20 Federal 180gr Soft Point are available for 33 euro and Sellier and Bellot do the 147gr FMJ at just over a euro a pop on a box of 50.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

• Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭.243

2011 wrote: »
    25.06 is your only man.
    Accept no substitute :)
    :D:D:D,says the lad thats put more holes in paper than deer with his(actually how many deer have you actually dropped with your 25-06 since getting it ??)

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,544 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

.243 wrote: »
    :D:D:D,says the lad thats put more holes in paper than deer with his(actually how many deer have you actually dropped with your 25-06 since getting it ??)

Total deer shot by me personally = 0
    But that wasn’t the question asked by the OP

Besides what answer do you expect me to give when I continually win with my 25.06 ?

You could always try to beat me at the next competition and prove me wrong....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,254 ✭✭✭Chiparus

Of the guns I have used for hunting 6.5 is my favourite , probably better than a 308 for foxes, I have a 308 and a 270 now, I would advise newbe to avoid the 270 as a first gun due to the recoil.

I dont think you can go wrong with either 243, 6.5 or 308, more inportant is the actual gun and the optics.

Chiparus wrote: »
    more inportant is the actual gun and the optics.

Gun will be a tikka t3x, scope s&b 8x56.
    I'd say i will go 243 based on the comments...ðŸ˜

What kind of deer stalkonh will you be doing?

I have the 8x56 S&B and love it, but two disadvantages come with such a great scope.
    Firstly if your shooting over short distance, especially in woodland the 8 power can be s bit much for close in shots, with you losing a good sight picture. I still use mine for woodland stalking as the problem can occur but is not persistent enough for me to change out a scope that has great dusk and dawn capabilities suitable for wooded areas.

Secondly for up hill/ mountainous terrain they add quite a bit of weight to your set up, but the 8x is brilliant for longer shots.
    I've since moved the 8x56 onto the 30-06 and put a 6x44 onto the .270 featherweight.

If you have s choice get something in the 3-9 range and possible 42 or 50 mms objective to keep it all low and sleek.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,033 ✭✭✭clivej

Gun will be a tikka t3x, scope s&b 8x56.
    I'd say i will go 243 based on the comments...ðŸ˜

I made my choice by going into the local dealers and seeing what ammo he had on the shelves. 308 was the best selection there, and 308 was there a plenty. And is still the most on the shelves 12 years later in most dealers

And too add of all the scopes I've looked and used the S&b 8x56 was the worse. Big thick reticle that blocked off a lot of the target. No parrellax adjustments

• Advertisement

What kind of deer stalking will you be doing?

The permissions I have secured so far are a mountain area and two large farms surrounded by woodland. The fields are pretty big that border the woodland so I estimate shots in the range 100m.
    If you have a choice get something in the 3-9 range and possible 42 or 50 mms objective to keep it all low and sleek.
    Unfortunately the budget doesn't allow for the purchase of a new scope. When I bought the S&B I wanted something that I could use currently for foxes with the intention of using for stalking in the future so hopefully it was the right choice at the time. Have to say its fantastic for foxes.
    I even bought the wildcat Evo moderator at the time also so all I need to do is change out one part to suit the caliber for about €50.

clivej wrote: »
    . Big thick reticle that blocked off a lot of the target.

Have to agree that this can be a bit of an issue when zeroing, it can be hard to see the dot on the paper. However I don't find it an issue on quarry so it shouldn't be a probem on deer sized targets.

.....I even bought the wildcat Evo moderator at the time also so all I need to do is change out one part to suit the caliber for about €50.

I delt direct with the lads in the UK, uped the Wildcat Preditor .243 to 30cal, no bother. I was lucky the threading was the same for the new rifle as was the barrel profile. A refreshingly cheep up grade.

I've had no issues with the 8x56 S&B, other than already stated and in fact regularly use a mates 6x42 on the hill out beyound 200m.
    The fact that you have it is a big plus, excellant light transmission, don't sell it, hang onto as a great back up scope.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

Another vote for the .308 with a tight for calibre twist

Nothing wrong with a 308, plenty of ammo. Great round. But ye won't be keeping your 308 if ye get out of deer hunting. You might get away with a 243 on foxes but not a 308

Zxthinger wrote: »
    Nothing wrong with a 308, plenty of ammo. Great round. But ye won't be keeping your 308 if ye get out of deer hunting. You might get away with a 243 on foxes but not a 308

Read the thread title.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭.243

2011 wrote: »
    Total deer shot by me personally = 0
    But that wasn’t the question asked by the OP

Besides what answer do you expect me to give when I continually win with my 25.06 ?

You could always try to beat me at the next competition and prove me wrong....
    so by that you're giving advise on a deer calibre you have that you havn't actually shot deer with,
    but the op isnt looking asking for advise on competition paper punching either

You read it herself mate and while yer at it read the other posts. OMG.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,315 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

Ammon difficult to find, but the 308 Lapua Magnum (7.62×70) takes some beating...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

Pkiernan wrote: »
    Ammon difficult to find, but the 308 Lapua Magnum (7.62×70) takes some beating...

That must be some thumper of a round, a moose sized yoke at 400 meters wouldn't have much of a come back from that....

Advertisement