Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Swing set on non-draining macamore soil

Options
  • 09-03-2019 6:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭

We are based in Ballymoney and like a lot of people in (north) Wexford we have macamore soil which is really poor draining. There is an area beside the house that would be perfect for a swing set but the soil is water logged all winter. Has anybody else been in this situation and managed to find a resolution?
    I had an idea that if we were to fit a non-permeable surface on a slight slope, we coudl stop the rainwater getting into the ground and due to the slope, we could collect it at the edge in a drain (covered with a metal/plastic grate). There is a stream downhill from the area, so the idea would be to pipe the water down to the stream. I guess (but i am not sure) that some of the wet-pour playground surfaces would be non-water permeable. But this is all a theoretical solution. I don't know anybody that has done this.
    In real-life, have you any experience of dealing with this type of soil and converting it into an area where kids can play all year? What did you do and did it work well?
    All advice gratefully received.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

I covered my wet garden with weed barrier (the strong mypex stuff that's used on road building/landscaping)
    On top I put a good 3 inches of quarry dust and finished off with artificial turf.
    There's a slight slope to a land drain pipe surrounded with stone and covered by the artificial turf.
    The result is a surface that can be used year round where the neighbouring gardens are swamps.

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭CarPark2

I covered my wet garden with weed barrier (the strong mypex stuff that's used on road building/landscaping)
    On top I put a good 3 inches of quarry dust and finished off with artificial turf.
    There's a slight slope to a land drain pipe surrounded with stone and covered by the artificial turf.
    The result is a surface that can be used year round where the neighbouring gardens are swamps.

Thanks for that. Did you do that yourself or get a somebody in to do it. If you got somebody in to do it, any chance of sharing the details?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

CarPark2 wrote: »
    Thanks for that. Did you do that yourself or get a somebody in to do it. If you got somebody in to do it, any chance of sharing the details?

Did it myself,a bit of work with a wheelbarrow,rake and a timber screed to get levels right.
    Quarry dust is cheap and easy to work with. The artificial grass isn't cheap but what I needed didn't need to be joined and I used stainless steel pegs to hold it down. Cheap tent pegs are ideal. All carpet stores sell artificial grass now,just measure up what you need and the grade.

Advertisement