Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Highstreet or cheap wedding dresses

Options
  • 09-03-2019 11:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭

Has anybody seen wedding dresses on the rails of normal shops? I've seen a good few online. Just wondering if there are any shops I could just wander into and try on dresses. Save the hassle of ordering online, then returning and refunding.
    My max dress budget is €500, but hoping to get most of my outfit for that really.
    I have been keeping an eye out on donedeal and adverts, but any other suggestions of where to look even?
    I feel like I can't start a lot of other things, like the bouquet or colour scheme, until I know the style of the dress. Which I have no idea about yet. Feel I will have to try on a few to know what suits and what really doesn't.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭Loveinapril

Try Barnardos or Oxfam bridal shops. Debenhams do wedding dresses too. You could go to a traditional bridal shop to try dresses on to find out what suits, then buy a cheaper version online- that is what I did!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭woodchuck

I'm sure I've seen some before in Debenhams on Henry street in Dublin.

A quick look online shows some that would be within your budget:
    https://www.debenhams.ie/women/dresses/wedding

• Registered Users Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭mrsdewinter

Saw them in Debenhams only recently. A woman I know got a beautiful wedding dress there in recent years. Try Henry Street.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭jesso22

I'm after looking online in sale section of local bridal shop and surprised to see there are some in my budget! I'm not as bad off as I thought then phew! My nearest Debenhams didn't have much of anything last week, much less bridal, but maybe as the season comes in I will have better luck. Thank you, all tips appreciated!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Monsoon used to do wedding dresses too. Not totally sure if they still do though.

Alternatively, lots of higher end bridesmaid dresses would be available in shades of white well within your budget.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭Humour Me

Folkster in Kilkenny have a bridal range as well.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 20,648 CMod ✭✭✭✭amdublin

Debenhams
    Monsoon
    Tk Maxx
    Bhs if you're prepared to go to north?
    Online - lilly pulitzer

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭love_love

Seconding Oxfam - they have some lovely dresses at an absolute bargain. If I didn't already have a very specific style in my head, I'm pretty positive I would have bought from there. If my memory serves, nothing was over 200 euro, but just remember to factor in alterations.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

What about renting one? Try Covet in Powerscourt. Also Absolutely Fabulous do Vintage dresses so make an appointment there and you might get lucky.

There is also a pre-loved Facebook site. Some are still very expensive as people selling on designer dresses but there might be something for you.

Sample sales too could work for you.

Oh, Phase Eight also do Wedding dresses. Try House of Fraser.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,078 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

There is a FB site - HIGM - it has a preloved page - lots of lovely dresses etc on there

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭tiredblondie

Wed2B in drumcondra - dearest dress they have is about 700euro - have some starting around the 100euro mark - walk in, no appointment needed but would recommend going in as soon as they open as they can get busy!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭SozBbz

Yeah I was going to recommend Wed2be in Drumcondra also. You can look online first to get an idea of prices. I've not been into them but I drive past it regularly and think its an interesting concept - really putting it up to more expensive boutiques I'd imagine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 466 ✭✭c6ysaphjvqw41k

When I was over in London I tried on wedding dresses in Monsoon and Debenhams. Maybe if you went up North or were headed over there at all anyway?

I got my wedding dress from Smart Brides in Portlaoise. They're re-order dresses range from €799 - €2k which I know is out of your budget, but they also have a great off the rack range which start from €199 up to €900. I had a quick look through them when I was there, but I wasn't really interested in one off the rack and wanted a re-order dress.

I did notice though that the rack ones they had were some of the best kept I'd seen. I'd been to sample sales and the dresses were in bits, covered in tan and makeup, threads hanging off. These were so well kept, had a huge selection, and you would be getting a wedding dress designer instead of say just Monsoons bridal range.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,338 Mod ✭✭✭✭convert

Oxfam usually have some nice dresses in stock, and would be well within your budget, so it would give you a little to have some money left if you'd like to get some small changes made, or perhaps have it cleaned.

Folkster is an option, but I found the staff there really poor and unhelpful.

Other high street shops to look at: Ted Baker, Monsoon, and Debehams are all worth a look as they will have something for your budget.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

Asos have a wedding dress section i believe

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭PinkLady2016

Try the Vincent De Paul shops. I got my dress there it still had the tags on.

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭greentea is just wrong

Self Portrait and Reformation are high end high street, and they both do dresses for under 500 I think

Advertisement