Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Road Bike Recommendation

Options
  • 09-03-2019 10:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 48

I'm looking to buy a road bike on the bike to work scheme my price range is between 1000 - 1500 euro .
    Can any cycling experts provide some recommendations on the best brand, model etc.

I will be using the bike to cycle to work each morning but also plan some fitness work and road trips.

I've heard Canyon provide the best bang for buck since they sell direct but my knowledge on bikes is entry level to say the least. Any feedback is much appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,224 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Canyon's are great value for money (I have three of them) but not always easiest to arrange on B2W and you don't have a local bike shop to go back to for questions etc.

For that kind of budget I'd suggest 105 11 speed groupset and maybe disc brakes - something like the Canyon Endurace AL would be perfect.

Go to a few bike shops though and see what they recommend to you

• Registered Users Posts: 48 petes2008

Thanks for the info. Can you tell me if there is much difference in terms of performance between aluminium and carbon fiber. Is it worth stretching the budget to get a CF frame?
    Canyon's are great value for money (I have three of them) but not always easiest to arrange on B2W and you don't have a local bike shop to go back to for questions etc.

For that kind of budget I'd suggest 105 11 speed groupset and maybe disc brakes - something like the Canyon Endurace AL would be perfect.

Go to a few bike shops though and see what they recommend to you

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,802 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

is it canyon who refuse to split the invoice for B2W purposes?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,148 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Check with your employer as to who you can buy a bike from. Some larger employers only use third party agents such as biketowork.ie so this could scupper your plans.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,831 ✭✭✭fat bloke

petes2008 wrote: »
    . Can you tell me if there is much difference in terms of performance between aluminium and carbon fiber. Is it worth stretching the budget to get a CF frame?

If you distilled the entire history of Boards Cycling section down to just one question, would this be it? :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭slideshow bob

petes2008 wrote: »
    I will be using the bike to cycle to work each morning but also plan some fitness work and road trips.

If you have a decent local bike shop, I strongly suggest you go there. They should be able to guide you to what you need, which might be a bit different from what you think you want just yet. Most important you get a bike that is comfortable for you, and that it works for your main needs. Also can help you with any extras (see below) and periodic maintenance.

A cyclocross (often called gravel bike these days) is worth considering. Room for mudguards which are really helpful for regular commuting. I use one for everything- commuting, road spins, long trips. I have aluminum frame, carbon fork, 105 groupset (mostly), full mudguards, 28mm 4 Seasons tyres. I knocked out 100k+ @30km/hr last Sunday on it - bike is comfortable and effective, if less flash than the CF fleet under most of the others. I’ve had it 5 years and easily see myself using it another decade.

Using it routinely for commuting means you may need to lock it at work, and occasionally on the way. A good Aluminum frame might be more resilient than CF for the odd ping off a bike rack / bike lock.

Enjoy whatever you get.

Advertisement