Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Di2 7970 FD internal clicking noise.

Options
  • 09-03-2019 9:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 18

My di2 7970 fd is making an internal clicking noise intermittenly. It is still shifting perfectly but makes this noise every now and then.I was able to test it on a friend's di2 diagnostic test unit and it gave a green light.Dosent fill me with confidence, maybe time to search for a replacement. Has anyone experienced same or have any info on what it might be. Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

That may be just it going up against its limit. If you give a *tiny* bit more room with the L/H limit screws it may resolve it. If you arent familiar with em get a decent LBS to take a look.

The mechs have a ratcheting system so if they meet resistance they dont damage themselves, that clicks.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 selle italia

Thanks for your reply, will give that a go. Do you mean back off the fd a bit more with the L screw in the small/big combination. Also allow a bit more on the h screw in the big/small combo. I have them set up to rub the chain and backed off just a tad to stop chain rub. Has been set like this for the past few years. Backing them off to much might lead to chain drop on both inner and outer rings. Worth a try.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

A bit more info would help.

What ring are you in on the FD and more importantly, where are you on the rear sprocket? Have you noticed it only happens on a certain combo of gears?

Di2 is fairly static, and never usually misses a beat. Has the bike fallen over recently? Of the RD taken a bang? The FD?

The one and only time I had to adjust Di2 was when I discovered that my nephew had knocked my bike over, and I only knew due to some scratch marks on the RD.

If you google it, you can adjust the FD/RD using the "buttons" and you don't need the diagnostic tools. You can also adjust it using a most new garmins, if you are connected via wireless/BT to the Di2.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 selle italia

It's the 10 speed first generation 7970( running it on my winter bike)so wouldn't have those features. Have the latest 9150 e tube type on my other bike so I know the ins and outs of this system. No real adjustment on the 7970 FD only the limit screws. It's trimming ok in line with gear selection on rear cog, just making this internal clicking noise but as I say works perfectly. Read on a forum that it may indicate that it could be on its way out, just curious did anyone come across it and what the outcome was. Thanks for your reply.

Advertisement