Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Being contacted from adverts.

Options
  • 09-03-2019 1:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭

If I sell something on adverts, I usually have to accept an offer to get contacted by private message, and would have to pass my number on to be contacted by phone.
    I have, inside this week received a PM and today a phone call from someone about an advert.... is this something to be suspicious of? Is there something dodgy?
    Has adverts been hacked and my private details been accessed, or have I not selected some privacy setting?
    I know its not strictly cycling, but the last thing I sold was a bike, and wonder what's happening.
    The person wants to come to my home and view tomorrow.

Any ideas? Or any ideas of who to contact?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

I've not used adverts in years but I just went on your advert and saw this
    dc744873e725438e85b46fe4ad589896.png

There must be a setting to disable show number as your number shows up when I click it.

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭wheelo01

Thanks, but I cant see your picture, nor my number when I look at my ad.
    If it's there, I need to learn something ASAP.

THANKS AGAIN.

Maybe it doesn't show your own info. Try viewing the ad while logged out.

tuxy wrote: »
    Maybe it doesn't show your own info. Try viewing the ad while logged out.

You're absolutely correct, thank you, I can't see it while logged in, and I can't see how to change privacy.

The PM thing is baffling as well, someone contacted me by PM without an offer being placed or accepted.

It should be an option if you edit the ad. If not just made a new ad and don't include your number.
    I think the PM rules are different on car adverts too.

• Advertisement

Aaah, that may make sense in regards PM.
    I also tried edit ad, and lo and behold, it tells me phone number will be available to buyer, didnt notice that on placing ad.

Mystery solved, nothing untoward is going on, many thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

I've been contacted by pm by people who've not made an offer on an ad. If not sure how that's possible. I can't do it on other ads.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,483 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

beauf wrote: »
    I've been contacted by pm by people who've not made an offer on an ad. If not sure how that's possible. I can't do it on other ads.

Could they have bought from you before or made an offer on some other item you had up for sale?

I sell a lot on Adverts and never get unsolicited contacts. If people don't get an accepted offer, they can not contact me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

No I checked. They just assume everyone can do that.

I think tuxy is correct - the rules for cars are different, any one can contact you, and your phone number is available if you give it.
    The PM came with a picture of the car, and I'd never dealt with him before, so it must be a default car section setting.

• Advertisement
Advertisement