Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Roses

Options
  • 08-03-2019 6:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi my Roses are growing well ahead of season with the early mild weather and now they have green fly. I am sure the current cold spell will kill them off. But should i cut back the new growth and if so how will it effect the summer flowering season.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,644 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

Roses are traditionally pruned "between St Brigid and St Patrick" LOL
    so you are already near the later end of that window.

If you must shape the plant, you can prune now (or indeed at any time) but don't be too brutal; the plant uses stored energy from the roots etc to make the first growth so you may weaken it by removing all the good new work.
    That being said, roses are famously tolerant of cutting so it will survive all right.

PS Quite right, the whitefly and greenfly need a good frost to kill them and clean up the garden.
    No need to give up hope, the weather can change again.

Advertisement