Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cycling commute - D15 to Tallaght

Options
  • 08-03-2019 3:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭

Any recommendations on cycling from D15 to Tallaght hospital area? It's not a part of the city I was ever that familiar with, and I can't remember there been much in terms of segregated cycle lanes.

Google is telling me to go through the Phoenix Park, through Kilmainham to the Grand Canal, and then onto the Crumlin Road through Walkinstown and the Greenhills road, carrying on all the way to the Belgard road.

Is there any cycling infrastructure along the Nangor Road/Naas road if I were to fly down Knockmaroon hill through Ballyfermot?

Were any of the cycleways talked about in the area ever completed, or are they all too far south?

My other option is to go as far as Heuston and hop on the Luas, but I'd rather get the exercise if I can find a safe route.

Any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,122 ✭✭✭daragh_

Where in D15 are you?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,699 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Stay off the Greenhills Rd anyway, narrow and extremely busy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭ectoraige

daragh_ wrote: »
    Where in D15 are you?
    I'm on the Castleknock side so Lucan probably isn't a good option, I don't mind going down Knockmaroon hill but it's probably as easy to go through the park.

Tabnabs wrote: »
    Stay off the Greenhills Rd anyway, narrow and extremely busy.
    Yeah, that's how I remember it, and to be honest I don't fancy the walkinstown roundabout during morning rush hour either.

I just realised there seems to be a cycleway all the way along the grand canal so I guess I can go though Islandbridge and follow it as far as maybe the ninth lock. I'm not sure though the best way to get across the N7 though, do I carry on to Fonthill road?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭bazermc

Defo stay off the M50.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Dunno that the canal makes sense, especially with some kissing gates still in place.

Avoiding the Parkgate right turn, Greenhills and Walkinstown Roundabout I end up with this. Not really happy with it but I guess it could work? Roads I wouldnt frequent too often.

https://goo.gl/maps/MpEM1AakoHN2

ED E wrote: »
    Dunno that the canal makes sense, especially with some kissing gates still in place.

https://goo.gl/maps/MpEM1AakoHN2

That link doesn't seem to have saved the route :(

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Just checked it in incognito, link definitely works. If you're on mobile all bets are off.

Yeah, desktop mode sorted it, cheers.

• Advertisement
Advertisement