Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cannondale race bikes

Options
  • 08-03-2019 2:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,831 ✭✭✭

I've a fierce goo on me for a number of years now for a top end Cannondale. I just really like the traditional look, I like the colour schemes, the straight tubing, standard triangle. I just think they look the business.

Not the synapse, not the systemsix. I mean the supersix evo (High Mod), and to a lesser extent the CAAD12.

Has anyone here ever had a High Mod Supersix Evo? There's a lovely one for sale on donedeal but it's way-hey up the top of the country. I'd be interested to hear of any reviews of 'em from folk who'd had. They're not cheap, so you don't see them around that much really.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭Plastik

Have a 58 HM that I'll be pulling out of winter hibernation shortly if you think it'll fit you for a blast in the hills. In relation to the CAAD12, hold tough on that one as there's a 13 on the way so there may be deals to be had.

I've a CAAD10 as a daily/winter/commuter and the SixHM is a different beast. For a long time after I got the CAAD I considered selling the Six because I thought it gave 95% of the same ride for substantially less price, but just one winters hibernation of the Six put that to rest once it was reintroduced. Similar, but there's a marked difference. Short review, love mine, PF bottom bracket is a pain, no plans to change for a long time. Like you, it represents a perfect aesthetic / performance ratio for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,831 ✭✭✭fat bloke

Plastik wrote: »
    Similar, but there's a marked difference. .

Good to hear. - There SHOULD be a performance difference comensurate with the price differential.
    Didn't know you had a HM though. What year/colour/spec is it? -Must get out for a spin some time (he said for the zillionth time, and the 19th year in a row:o)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭terrydel

fat bloke wrote: »
    I've a fierce goo on me for a number of years now for a top end Cannondale. I just really like the traditional look, I like the colour schemes, the straight tubing, standard triangle. I just think they look the business.

Not the synapse, not the systemsix. I mean the supersix evo (High Mod), and to a lesser extent the CAAD12.

Has anyone here ever had a High Mod Supersix Evo? There's a lovely one for sale on donedeal but it's way-hey up the top of the country. I'd be interested to hear of any reviews of 'em from folk who'd had. They're not cheap, so you don't see them around that much really.

https://www.adverts.ie/road-bikes/cannondale-super-six-evo-team-ed-2015/16232353

Good friend of mine selling this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,089 ✭✭✭Bambaata

I've the older (up to 2015 - same as that on the adverts link) HM and I love it, well them (i've two - car hit me on the first after having it only 6 weeks and cracked the frame and ive since had it repaired! Id bought the frame again after the incident as in was worried insurance would only cover what I paid which was about 60% off the RRP as a frameset the version had just been revamped)

I went from a Focus Cayo to it and immediately felt a massive difference, I couldn't get over how different it felt for the good. I hadn't expected that. Only issue with mine is the narrowness of the older versions, I can only go to 23mm tyres on the rear

Good to hear. - There SHOULD be a performance difference comensurate with the price differential.
    Didn't know you had a HM though. What year/colour/spec is it? -Must get out for a spin some time (he said for the zillionth time, and the 19th year in a row:o)

Mine is one of the newer framesets, 2016 DuraAce2 version in a matt grey with some red/orange. All DA, not the latest iteration with the shadow RD, and came with the Cannondale spiderring chainset/cranks.

3v5OGeWl.jpg

• Advertisement

Ooh. That's gorgeous Plastik.

@Terry, 54 no good for me unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Luxman

Curses to this thread, I am now browsing Cannondale bikes. Was supposed to be my first road bike years ago but ended up with a Trek, love affair has recommenced now

• Registered Users Posts: 31,031 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

I also love Cannondale, they were the dream bike when I first started cycling in the 1990s.

I was going to post something about the CAAD bikes looking better than the plastic ones, but it seems like they ruined the look with the CAAD12.

Bit too angle-y for my luddite tastes.

cannondale-caad12-disc.jpg

Compare to the modest, understated look of the older generation bikes.

cipo-USwheels-1-620.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 14,325 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

https://www.paulscycles.co.uk/clearance/

always used to be the goto for clearance deals on cannondales, still a few on there

Thats who i got my HM frames from. I managed to get the first frameset at £819! Second at about £1069 a few months later.

• Advertisement

Ooh. That's gorgeous Plastik.

@Terry, 54 no good for me unfortunately.

Pity, it's a lovely bike. Personally I think he's asking a bit much.

It's rich alright. I didn't pay a massive amount more than that for mine new here www.bikelineshop.de/race-bike Had never heard of them before but very easy to deal with. No problem or charge changing out the cassette or the semi-compact for a 53/39 pre-purchase.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

Hmmmm
    https://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=147445

A conker fell and dented the top tube of that CAAD12.

Ha. My CAAD10 has two dents in the top tube, one from the handlebars.

I was always a big fan of this colour scheme on the last generation
    ac69fl.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭rodneyTrotter.

Supersix himod owner myself . Not the latest but the previous model. Shoots up hills . Having ridden a fair few bikes including a Caad12 , it’s definitely the liveliest and fantastic for climbing
    That one on adverts is overpriced.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭AmberGold

Supersix himod owner myself . Not the latest but the previous model. Shoots up hills . Having ridden a fair few bikes including a Caad12 , it’s definitely the liveliest and fantastic for climbing
    That one on adverts is overpriced.

If its the 56 Hi Mod Etap you’re referring to it looks well priced to me.. slammed stem would cause me an issue thou. Looks like with a little negotiation it could be a great deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,031 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

1600 with no wheels seems about right to me. Nice new wheels and a service and you're at 2.5k.

Superbikes depreciate like crazy. There's a new one listed on CSS for 5.5k, but the RRP is way over that.

AmberGold wrote: »
    If its the 56 Hi Mod Etap you’re referring to it looks well priced to me.. slammed stem would cause me an issue thou. Looks like with a little negotiation it could be a great deal.

Think he's referring to my mates one (54) at 3k with the vision wheels.

Lumen wrote: »
    1600 with no wheels seems about right to me. Nice new wheels and a service and you're at 2.5k.

Superbikes depreciate like crazy. There's a new one listed on CSS for 5.5k, but the RRP is way over that.
    They do, tho the rrp on new hi end cannondales is a joke, plenty of them up near 10k. You'd want to be an idiot to pay that as it's blatantly ripping people off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Andy Magic

Beautiful bikes, I almost changed over to them myself. I think they look well even when large sizes, which is good for tall cyclists.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,590 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

It must be a sign - the only left in stock is your size...

https://www.paulscycles.co.uk/m7b0s6p7494/CANNONDALE-SUPERSIX-EVO-ULTEGRA-2017

That's not the hi-mod, not that im all that convinced that there's much of a difference? Has anyone been on both?

Bambaata wrote: »
    That's not the hi-mod, not that im all that convinced that there's much of a difference? Has anyone been on both?

Massive difference in price. Regular supersixes are cheap.

Yeah I've seen that. Few search results from users say the hi-mod is more comfortable, handles better and accelerates better. Whether it's worth the extra cash is debatable. I'd be tempted by the non hi-mods if buying again but often see the hi-mod going cheaply as a frameset

I've never ridden a regular non-HM Six, but for some reason they've never particularly appealed to me. I think faced with the decision I'd probably be more tempted by a decent spec CAAD.

Bambaata wrote: »
    Yeah I've seen that. Few search results from users say the hi-mod is more comfortable, handles better and accelerates better. Whether it's worth the extra cash is debatable. I'd be tempted by the non hi-mods if buying again but often see the hi-mod going cheaply as a frameset

How do people quantify this kind of ****e, other than perception?

terrydel wrote: »
    How do people quantify this kind of ****e, other than perception?

Yerra sure its the same as the 105/ultegra/duraace. Doesn't really matter a feck in reality. But if I'm buying a posh bike I want the high mod / the sworks / the SLX etc.

Yerra sure its the same as the 105/ultegra/duraace. Doesn't really matter a feck in reality. But if I'm buying a posh bike I want the high mod / the sworks / the SLX etc.

I switch between cringing and anger when i read bike reviews ****ting on about a bike climbing well, descending great etc. Its basically all ****e, yes theres a difference from bike to bike but noticing it and quantifying it is nigh on impossible, from one model to another at least.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,802 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

you mean you've never been on a bike and thought 'this is twitchy' or 'this feels like its on rails', etc?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 316 ✭✭thelawman

7% stiffer frame than previous model, 2% more compliant, 13 seconds quicker in the wind tunnel at 456 watts, .... you want cash or card ;)

Advertisement